Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can a breeder sue me if i report their unethical, dishonest behavior, to akc or breed club

i know a breeder that has lied on akc papers about the date of birth for puppies, and that the tails were docked, (disqualifying for the breed), i have real proof of both by vet records, she has MANY dogs, she also does not have a kennel license or even a dog license and has threatened to sue me if i report it,

she has threatened to sue me if i report her for either things,

can she?????

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
She can, but if it's true she'd most likely lose. You can report her anonumously and she'd have NO PROOF that it was you, which means you could countersue. Frankly if you plan to do this you need to cut off ALL communication with her. Just to let you know, she'll only lose her right to register AKC at the most, it won't stop her from registering with other, less reputable registries. I'd also report her to FCI (international registry) and UKC (the other reputable registry in the US) in case she tries to register her dogs with them while she's under investigation from AKC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she has been a big shot in her breed club for many years, but they have no clue as to what she has been doing behind closed doors,

she has been selling dogs with hereditary mange and not informing anyone and sold them as breeders, it is hereditary and just wrong to me? i argued it with her and she just would not listen,

i know she does not have a kennel license and she needs to in her county but she is threatening to sue me if i report her,

how can i stop her? she will know it is me if i send the documents in even anonymously?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think even you can't prove your claims are true, she still couldn't win a lawsuit against you. You can just say what you saw, and that's it. You're allowed to do that. It's free speech. It would be another matter if you started calling all her acquaintances, or harassing her, or started a libelous website.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I think even you can't prove your claims are true, she still couldn't win a lawsuit against you. You can just say what you saw, and that's it. You're allowed to do that. It's free speech. It would be another matter if you started calling all her acquaintances, or harassing her, or started a libelous website.
This is not true. You can't just say whatever you want and call it "freedom of speech." If you report falsified facts (as opposed to opinion) to the breed governing body, that would indeed open you up to a defamation suit, at least in the USA. That said...truth is a defense.

·
Registered
891 Posts
can a breeder sue me if i report their unethical, dishonest behavior, to akc or breed club

i know a breeder that has lied on akc papers about the date of birth for puppies, and that the tails were docked, (disqualifying for the breed), i have real proof of both by vet records, she has MANY dogs, she also does not have a kennel license or even a dog license and has threatened to sue me if i report it,

she has threatened to sue me if i report her for either things,

can she?????
What has she threatened to sue you for?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
This is not true. You can't just say whatever you want and call it "freedom of speech." If you report falsified facts (as opposed to opinion) to the breed governing body, that would indeed open you up to a defamation suit, at least in the USA. That said...truth is a defense.
Ah yes. The First Amendment protects Americans from government interference in speech, it does not protect libelous or defamatory speech.

That being said, if what you say is true and you did not sign a nondisclosure agreement (a contract in which you agreed not to speak about what you know), then she can sue you, but she'll lose.

In the end, she would be required to pay your legal fees, but you would likely have to pay your lawyer a retainer and continuing legal expenses until the end of the lawsuit, and a good lawyer could drag that out for years.

ETA: I work in a legal office, but am not a lawyer. Please do not construe the above as legal advice. Always consult an attorney if you have questions of a legal nature.

I think you should report her if what you say is true, just be aware there may be consequences.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
She can be if it's true, then she'll lose. She has nothing to sue you over by slander and, well, it's not slander if it's true.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know that she can sue for libel if what you are saying is true and you have evidence.
only her vet records would prove all the mange she had going on and the bad spines in her dogs, i know about it, i was there, but her vet records are sealed , RIGHT?

but i DO have the vet records of her docking the tails on all of her litters of puppies, disqualifying to the breed by akc,

and I DO have the vet records i can prove that she registered a litter by the wrong birth date to avoid problems registering the litter,

she also has placed dogs in other peoples name that have no claims to the dogs to avoid to many in her name, i have one,

i also am questioning the stud on a litter, but that would be my word against her?

akc said i have to make a written complaint and she said she will sue me if i do??

she has threaten to sue me if contact the akc or the club that she is well known in for her breed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
she will file criminal charges if i cause harm to her good name and standing in the dog community,

she will sue me for as much money as she can get including my home,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank-you for the replies, i have tried to argue with her about her practices to no avail, i have finally had enough arguing with her, i can not change her practices,

she even intentionally bred a dog that has 2 uterus in hopes to get 2 litters out of the bitch, i video taped the c-section,
i begged her to spay her, i feel that is not a trait to possibly carry on,

i told her that all the pups that had mange had to be sold as pets because it is hereditary, after they were treated they were sold to show/breeder homes,

financially i can not take the chance that she could really sue me, but someone needs to stop her,

·
Registered
891 Posts
she will file criminal charges if i cause harm to her good name and standing in the dog community,

she will sue me for as much money as she can get including my home,
Okay, she CANNOT file criminal charges against you. Only the District Attorney can do that. There is absolutely NO way you will be arrested for reporting this woman to the AKC. She is using threats and intimidation to silence you. The only thing she could try to do is to file a civil suit but defamation/libel/slander are VERY hard causes of action to prove. If it were me, I'd report it. This woman is a bully and bullies are, ultimately, cowards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, she CANNOT file criminal charges against you. Only the District Attorney can do that. There is absolutely NO way you will be arrested for reporting this woman to the AKC. She is using threats and intimidation to silence you. The only thing she could try to do is to file a civil suit but defamation/libel/slander are VERY hard causes of action to prove. If it were me, I'd report it. This woman is a bully and bullies are, ultimately, cowards.
i have the threat in a letter she sent to me, her good name will not be harmed by me contacting the akc or breed club, the saddest part is she is very very well known in her breed and they have no clue, they think she is the queen of the breed, they have no clue who she really is,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what about contacting the county were she lives, she never has gotten a dog license or kennel license to avoid inspections,

she told me she was grandfathered in and does not need to get a license for any of her dogs??

then she said a animal control officer told her not to get any licenses to stay out of the radar???

could she sue me for contacting the city???

i would do anything to get some of the dogs out of those tiny cages in the basement without even a window,

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
People can sue for ANYTHING. I mean it. Just filing a lawsuit doesn't make the claim any more valid. Of course she can sue you for contacting the city. That doesn't mean she would WIN, but if she chooses to be litigious and waste her money and time, your time and money, and the court's time, she could create an annoying situation for you, and you would probably have to incur the expense of a lawyer, even if her claim is frivolous and you win.

Some people throw the threat of lawsuits around to scare other people. It sounds like you're really upset about this, though. I think you have to choose whether you want to report her (to the city or the breed club or whatever) and go from there. She sounds like a bully.

Have you considered consulting a lawyer on your end? Might ease your mind. You're not going to get real legal advice here.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
As far as I understand, the AKC isn't going to step in for health issues - there's too many 'I'll breed my dog if I like' people out there. But if there's a question of parenthood, they'll investigate. If the pups were born on a different day, they'll investigate.

The breed club - look into their code of ethics and complain if she's done something wrong against that (breeding dogs without clearances or not disclosing health). It depends of course on what the breed club's stand is on those issues.

The city - I'd call and complain to them as well as the local spca about the dog's conditions and lack of care, they'd investigate that side of things. Grandfathered in or not.

You could of course report everything to each of the above but that (as far as I know) is who would care about what. If the AKC cared about lack of health and so on, there wouldn't be any AKC pups for sale in pet stores...

I would stop contact with her totally of course, and hey, if she sues you, make it a nice, public battle. I'm guessing she has something to hide if she's threatened to sue you, and purebred breeders have a hard enough time finding homes because of the rep of puppy mills etc... so having that on record won't help her.

·
Registered
891 Posts
People can sue for ANYTHING. I mean it. Just filing a lawsuit doesn't make the claim any more valid. Of course she can sue you for contacting the city. That doesn't mean she would WIN, but if she chooses to be litigious and waste her money and time, your time and money, and the court's time, she could create an annoying situation for you, and you would probably have to incur the expense of a lawyer, even if her claim is frivolous and you win.

Some people throw the threat of lawsuits around to scare other people. It sounds like you're really upset about this, though. I think you have to choose whether you want to report her (to the city or the breed club or whatever) and go from there. She sounds like a bully.

Have you considered consulting a lawyer on your end? Might ease your mind. You're not going to get real legal advice here.
It's true that anyone can file suit for any reason. However, I cannot see an attorney representing her without a large retainer so unless she's going to represent herself, I don't see litigation being filed in this situation. I agree that she's a bully. Ultimately, bullies are cowards. She is, to use a bad pun, likely all bark, no bite.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
what about contacting the county were she lives, she never has gotten a dog license or kennel license to avoid inspections,

she told me she was grandfathered in and does not need to get a license for any of her dogs??

then she said a animal control officer told her not to get any licenses to stay out of the radar???

could she sue me for contacting the city???

i would do anything to get some of the dogs out of those tiny cages in the basement without even a window,
She'd have to PROVE it was you, if you report the violations to the city and county anonumously she can't prove it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I wasn't suggesting that the OP should report falsified facts. I think she should just keep it simple, and state (specifically) what she has seen, without inserting her own opinions or feelings about the matter.

Ah yes. The First Amendment protects Americans from government interference in speech, it does not protect libelous or defamatory speech.

That being said, if what you say is true and you did not sign a nondisclosure agreement (a contract in which you agreed not to speak about what you know), then she can sue you, but she'll lose.
In this case, wouldn't the onus be on the person who brought the suit to prove that the statements made by the OP were false, and libelous? Which would be impossible, if the OP stuck to the facts? And isn't that a pretty high bar to reach, for a plaintiff anyway? I was under the impression that it's really hard to win a libel case in the US.

OP, I think you should just contact a lawyer. One specializing in defamation. I probably should have included in my first post a statement that I am NOT a lawyer, and am just giving my own impressions. :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts