Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a Siberian husky that just turned a year old. he is neutered and up to date on all of his vaccs. we go to the dog park about 2-4 times a week. he is GREAT at playing with other dogs. we have another husky and a 5 lb Pomeranian. today at the park, a min pin was nipping at his feet, and he picked him up like a toy and started shaking him. by the neck. the dog is okay and we took him to the vet. but i dont want this to ocuur again. can someone explain WHY he did this and what i can do to keep him from doing it? Or how i can teach him to not do it? He has never done this to our Pomeranian so I am confused as to why he would do this to another small dog. :redface:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Without more information on what exactly was happening, it's hard to say. Shaking is usually a prey behavior--and as a breed, Sibes do tend to have a high prey drive. How is he normally with other small dogs he does not know at the park? Animals from his own household (your Pom) fall into a different category than strange ones... On the other hand, it might also have been a response to what he perceived as annoying behavior on the part of the MinPin. What would be a warning to a dog of his own size could easily injure a much smaller dog.

So really, it's hard to tell from what you've said without further details. Try to teach him a reliable "leave it," and use that when around smaller dogs if the park in your area is not divided by size and he displays inappropriate interest in the smaller dogs (or even in the larger ones or something else entirely!).

Most dog parks I've seen have separate areas for small dogs and bigger dogs. Part of that is because of things like this. I know that even my 30 pound dog behaves quite differently with a dog above, say, 20lbs, than she does with smaller ones. Now that she's gotten older she doesn't typically display prey drive toward them (she seems to notice they're dogs now and not squirrels or something, lol), but she still reacts a bit differently toward them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he normally just leaves them alone, he usually nips at them and runs away. he's never aggressive or anything. he also knows leave it, and does great at home. its just hard to practice it at the park with other animals. this park is just one big open park. it doesnt have a small dog section.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok I agree with above hard to tell from our side without knowing dog or even seeing incident! First happy all are ok. Predatory Drift is the technical term where a large dog takes a small dog for prey and the result is what you seen. It is a nightmare every doggie daycare has and this is why large and small dogs are separated during play...in this case there is nothing that can be trained to stop or help this it is said through studies that something just snaps in dogs mInd and things small dog is prey. Personnaly I and many other trainers , owners etc. do not like dog parks for many reasons.....then again it could have been the little guy was gettin to annoying but If your dog is well socialized and has good body language you most likely seen predatory drift at its worst.

I would personnaly find another dog park where you can seperate large n small or find another way to socialize and excercise. Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Don't go to the dog park! You had warnings in the past in the form of the nipping, now it's escalated to full on predatory drift. The next time you go it could be a dead dog. There's a thread here about a Sibe that killed a Yorkie. It happens all the time. Be responsible, keep the other dogs safe and keep your dog away from the park.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts