Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I adopted a pitbull mix who is about 3 months old named Riley. He is the sweetest dog who just wants to play and when tired out he loves to cuddle and be near you. He does like to bark alot thou! I currently have a 6 year old pit mix named peanut who is also the biggest cuddle bug!! When i first brought Riley home the first thing i did was take them both for a nice long walk. The first few days they would play great together and there was no problems. He would walk on her bed and go near her things and she was fine. About 3 days after getting him, Peanut got sick (throwing up and not eating) so riley wanted to be near her. When peanut started feeling better she began going after Riley and not in the playful way. Im guessing that i should have taken things a little slower when it came to riley being in peanuts house and around her things but now its to the point where its hard to even take them out of the house without peanut trying to attack Riley. They are fine when they are on walks away from the house but when it comes to being inside the house peanut gets mad and goes after him. Riley is in his crate when nobody is home but in order to let him out and play peanut has to be locked in another room. For now to get peanut use to him again i put her on a leash and have Riley stand near us. When peanut lunges toward him i make them both sit and give them treats and positive reinforcement. to split the quality time with both dogs, i put peanut in the room and hang with riley and then put riley in his crate when its peanuts turn. Is there anything else i can be doing to make them get along and my life easier?!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Maybe, maybe not.

Some dogs are dog aggressive and pitbulls have a higher tendency towards that. (Not to say that pitbulls are bad. My German Shepherd mix was no part pit bull and he was severely dog aggressive.) Some dogs just hate some dogs, dogs of the same sex or all dogs. There may be nothing you can do other than what you are doing, which is referred to as crate and rotate.

I would contact a dog behaviorist, not a trainer, a behaviorist. Choose one that only uses positive methods and have them come to your house and evaluate the interactions. They can help you more, seeing the behavior in person, than anyone on the internet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My female Lacy dog was like that towards a new male Lacy I got at first but now they are the best of friends and really can't be separated and if they are they act out for attention. Just took a lot of time. I hope your situation gets better. I think what relly worked for me though was getting them out of the house and in the woods and working towards the same goal. Now they are like tag-team partners I swear.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Some dogs just don't like each other. If Peanut is already intolerant of Riley, who is still a puppy, I would guess that your chances of living in harmony are low. That's if you are accurately describing Peanut's level of dislike.

I have two that I crate and rotate. Mine don't hate each other, but they spill from fine and dandy to holy sh#t in about .5 seconds. They can play in the yard together, they can walk leashed forever. But in the house, it's a whole new game. My little female throws "stink" eyes about toys, smells, locations, moods, whatever. My male takes offense. Then it's on.

I love the breed, but this is certainly one of its issues. And in this breed, the fighting can go from ugly to brutal. Are you willing to crate and rotate long term? If not, you may want to consider your options with the pup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts