Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone my dog diesel is very food motervated. he is crazy about food so when i try to train him with treats he goes so crazy he doest lisen and he cant stand still. any advice

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
You can try things like:
training with a toy rather than a treat (make sure to work on "Give" so he will return the toy to you after a short bit of play)
training with his dry dog food so its tasty but less exciting than a treat
wait him out- no treat until he is standing or sitting still. Even if that means you stand there like a tree for several minutes waiting for him to figure it out
hiding the treats (jacket pocket for example) and using a clicker to mark the action and then having the treat appear (so he can't focus as much on the treat)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he does pretty about droping his toys but hes not really motervated by toys and i know he isnt with his food i tryed with it. hes only goes crazy after i give him the first treat. i dont have a clicker

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You need to wait him out. Hold the treat. Say sit. Wait until he sits. When he does sit, say "yes" and give him a treat. Next time, make him sit a heartbeat longer. Then say yes and give him a treat.

If he is going all crazy, you just stand and wait. If it takes 15 minutes, that's okay. Pretty soon he will figure out that the food only gets delivered when he is acting sane and sitting.

It works. Just don't feed into his drama or urgency and don't get frustrated. Just wait!

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
ill try that it would be nice for him to lisen. do u have any advice to stop him pulling on the leash
try this- leash him and go outside where there aren't too many distractions (private yard or quiet park). Then start walking, as soon as he starts to pull, turn and walk in an opposite direction. He should follow along and then will probably try to start pulling in your new direction. As soon as there is tension on the leash, turn again. Not always back and forth in the same line, but random directions (like, instead of you turning 180 degrees, turn 90 degrees and start walking). He will think you are crazy but he should learn to follow you. you can reward with treats but don't lure him along with treats.

When walking on a sidewalk, turn and walk the opposite direction every time he pulls. Consistently. try to make it a little bit farther forward each time, praising him when he isn't pulling. You may take an hour to go two blocks this way but he should catch on that pulling gets him nowhere fast.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have found that the more training a person invests in a dog, the easier it is to access their "Smartness." Dogs that can't focus may not seem bright at first, but once they have an attention span and stop just reacting to everything, they sharpen up a whole lot.

The key to all dog training is being patient enough to wait for the response you want. Once you get the behavior you are looking for, reward it. Dogs do what works for them. Make what YOU want have value for the dog. For example, move forward when the dog doesn't pull. Feed the dog when he sits. Play a great game when your dog comes when called. Release a dog to a food bowl when he does a sit/stay. Make it so your dog's life works better when he is giving you what you want.

Pretty soon, dim dogs become experts and they are a lot more fun to live with!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
ok sounds good it will take him awhile though hes not the smartest dog
Famous last words! A food-motivated dog is a trainer's dream. You can teach them anything, the sky is the limit, though they may seem crazy at first if they have no impulse control. Believe me, I've been there!

You need to hide the food in a pocket, bait bag, or other receptacle. Keep it on you at all times. Ask the dog for something ("sit") and if you get the right behavior, then open the bag and treat the dog. A lot of dogs can't concentrate on what you're asking them to do when you're waggling a piece of food in front of them in plain sight.

Read the sticky on NILIF (nothing in life is free). It is especially helpful for dogs with over-the-top food motivation, in my experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts