Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
friday morning my 4 year old pitbull got into some garbage began puking later that night. he did not puke saturday at all. today he started improving a little, drinking water on his own, he ate a tiny bit of hand fed tuna fish. i know the best thing to do is bring him to a vet but i dont have a lot of money (save your comments), and he seems to be showing a bit of improvement with drinking on his own and such, i told my roomate to keep a close eye on him tomorrow while i'm at work so i guess between today and tomorrow we'll see how he does but is there anything else i can do? should do? thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
Isn't there a vet anywhere in your area that will take payments? One of our saint bernards had epilepsy and our vet took payments.

·
Registered
14 Posts
well, is there anyway to know what he possibly got into? is there anything that could be toxic? or anything that could get lodged?
If he isnt vomiting now that is a good thing so far...keep an eye on his stool...is it soft? hard? bloody? and has he been stooling like normal?
second... What was in the vomit? I know that sound gross, but is it bile? or food? etc..
Lastly...pay attention to his water and food intake...if his appitite gets better or worse...

I hope everything goes good...
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
RLC,
If he does not seem to keep improving then you might want to look into something called "Care Credit". I don't know your location but here in MA, there are places, including vets that will accept that as a form of payment.
Its like a credit card but it can only be used for medical treatments, for yourself or your pet. Here is the website so you can check it out: http://www.carecredit.com/
Best of luck with everything, I hope your dog continues to get better!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have absolutely no idea what he got into because my a-hole roomates trash was back there and i dont know what was in it.

he is eating a little bit, he is drinking a little bit. he's very tired much like when i had the flu so i wouldnt expect his appetite to be very big either.

he puked up chunks of food it looked like, a little bile.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Since he is so lethargic, I really wouldn't put off taking him to the Vet. Where are you located? Maybe someone can help point you in the direction of someone who will allow you to make payments. The care credit program is also worthwhile to check out.

Lethargy is a definite sign that something is really wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
rlc,
i'm soo sorry :-(
i don't know what else to tell you. i wish i could help you.
the only other suggestion i have is to google alliance for animals and give them a call. i was on their massachusetts website the other day and it said something about doing what they can to help low income and homeless pet owners with affordable vet care. i do NOT have all the details but it could be worth a shot.
i wish you the very best

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am force feeding him right now, and making him drink water, it is not easy. he hates it, i hate it, but he has to drink he's dehydrated, lost a lot of weight in 2 days. i feel so terrible right now, i just simply cant afford to take him to the vet i have no money for it right now. when i got him 3 years ago my financial situation was a lot different then it is now.

i made him eat some hamburger meat today, and drink water, he did drink and eat earlier on his own, i hope he gets threw this soon :(

·
Registered
348 Posts
Why has the idea of talking to veterinarians in your area about a payment plan been ruled out? Can you ask your roommate what might have been in the trash? It's pretty common for dogs to throw up after eating things from the garbage, and if it's been 72 hours without improvement (and, it appears, with WORSENING of symptoms), your dog is not going to get better just by eating and drinking. Try also mixing chicken broth with water -- maybe offer the water you boil your chicken in to your dog after it has cooled. What does his poop look like?

What city/state are you in?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If your dog ate something that caused an obstruction, he can die very painfully. Call your local vets and beg for a payment plan. Pawn your computer. Beg your parents and friends. If nothing else give him to a rescue to either treat or euth. It's better than a painful death.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, after reading the payment plan idea i called the vet and they wont do a payment plan, i dont have time to call around and see if theres programs threw the mspca he's not doing good. i'm not watching my dog die a slow death. i dont have that in me, i'm not the greatest dog owner in the world but i love my dogs and would never ever do that. i took him to the vet anyway and whatever i have to deal with after as far as them getting their money i'll figure that out but theres not an ice cubes chance in hell i was waiting another day. in the end, they can f off, my dog means more then they do. whats the worse they can do send a collection agency after me, whatever i dont care about that my dog is more important to me. ill keep everyone updated.

as far as things i tried, i tried boiling hamburger, chicken broth, heating up canned food, fresh water, he wasnt interested. he did hold down a little bit he threw up some of the food he ate yesterday today and didnt eat today, he drank a little bit, nothing even close to what he should be. i tried everything and nothing worked.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
well, after reading the payment plan idea i called the vet and they wont do a payment plan, i dont have time to call around and see if theres programs threw the mspca he's not doing good. i'm not watching my dog die a slow death. i dont have that in me, i'm not the greatest dog owner in the world but i love my dogs and would never ever do that. i took him to the vet anyway and whatever i have to deal with after as far as them getting their money i'll figure that out but theres not an ice cubes chance in hell i was waiting another day. in the end, they can f off, my dog means more then they do. whats the worse they can do send a collection agency after me, whatever i dont care about that my dog is more important to me. ill keep everyone updated.

as far as things i tried, i tried boiling hamburger, chicken broth, heating up canned food, fresh water, he wasnt interested. he did hold down a little bit he threw up some of the food he ate yesterday today and didnt eat today, he drank a little bit, nothing even close to what he should be. i tried everything and nothing worked.
I'm glad he's at the vet. Sending good wishes to him to get well soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
yesterday i went to the vet to go pick him up, he was looking a lot better and doing pretty good. something wasnt sitting with me right, so i asked the vet about his eating and told him i wanna see a treat or something. so the vet went and grabbed a can of wet food, my dog ate about 1/2 of it and didnt even wolf it down, my dog wolf's wet food down like a crack head smokin a free sample. after that i wasnt comfortable i said keep him another night. so they did, he ended up puking again and not holding the food down and still hasnt pooped since friday when he got into the trash. so needless to say i'm quite glad i said to keep him

tomorrow he's going into exploratory surgery to find out if he has a blockage, i told the vet i dont have money for this and the vet said "ok well, id like to get in there and see, im not into this for money so we can figure it out, i own the place, he's a really great dog he's young id like to be able to give him back to you healthy so let me do what i need to do and we can go from there" i said "ok, i appreciate that more then you know if you wouldnt do that i would have to put him down i cant thank you enough" so tomorrow i will hear back and hopefully everything works out good. if it doesnt i am going to lose him and that thought doesnt make me feel too good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's a great vet. Good luck with the results of the exploratory surgery. Hope he's on the mend soon!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Sounds like a really caring vet. I'd offer to make payments on the bill. Even 15.00 per paycheck or something would show him that you intend on paying him. When you get some extra as a xmas gift/birthday/etc pay some extra. That will allow him to do that again for someone else in your situation. Many vets won't do pmts because they have been burned so often, so making an effort EVERY month until it's paid will show good faith on your part and maybe keep him doing that for someone else, as well as keep him in business. A vet that works for free for anyone needing it will soon go out of business. That hurts everyone.

Sending good wishes to your dog.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts