Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a 2 bdroom apt. I own a pug and the air conditioning is broken. They have to order a part and it will not be fixed until monday. Im so pissed. It is 84 degrees in here and im afraid my pug is going to overheat? idk if this is too hot for her or not. I have a mist bottle of water i have been misting her to keep her cool once and a while but im trying to get her to go to bed on the bed with me because i have a bunch of fans going. but she is afraid of them? Will she be ok, its not like she is out in the sun it is just around 84 inside. plz any help would be nice

·
Registered
362 Posts
This is what I would do: Freeze some plastic coke bottles filled with water. Lay them out and place a a towel over the bottles for her to lay on as a bed or just beside. I think she'll be fine just watch for these signs of heat exhaustion.
Rapid, frantic panting

Wide eyes

Thick saliva

Bright red tongue

Vomiting

Staggering

Diarrhea

Coma

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/be-a-cool-owner-don-t-let-your-dog-overheat/page1.aspx

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I live in a 2 bdroom apt. I own a pug and the air conditioning is broken. They have to order a part and it will not be fixed until monday. Im so pissed. It is 84 degrees in here and im afraid my pug is going to overheat? idk if this is too hot for her or not. I have a mist bottle of water i have been misting her to keep her cool once and a while but im trying to get her to go to bed on the bed with me because i have a bunch of fans going. but she is afraid of them? Will she be ok, its not like she is out in the sun it is just around 84 inside. plz any help would be nice
I thought you had a catahoula/lab mix. What happened to him?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
84 is not that hot. Even bunnies are fine at that temp. Just keep a fan going for ventilation and he should be OK.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I would think 84 would not be that big of a deal?.....unless you dog starts panting heavily or showing other signs of being hot....I think you will be find
keep the fans going...offer lots of water...and keep the playing to a minimum

·
Registered
475 Posts
For the record, due to the short nose of the pug, they are more prone to heat stress / heat exhaustion than other breeds. Pugs can suffer heat exhaustion in temperatures as little as 85+, so.. I guess that's just a word for people thinking "84 is no big deal".

That being said.. I think as long as you keep the rooms ventilated with moving air from the fans and you keep an eye on the dog, and the dog isn't being asked to perform gymnastics or anything :p Then if 84 is the highest it's gonna get, it probably isn't going to be a problem.

The frozen bottle of water suggestion definitely works but I mean.. we used to do that for chinchillas in extreme temps because they are sensitive to heat stroke and I honestly don't think it's necessary if the temp is sitting at 84 and that's the highest it's gonna get. But again, it does work.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
For the record, due to the short nose of the pug, they are more prone to heat stress / heat exhaustion than other breeds. Pugs can suffer heat exhaustion in temperatures as little as 85+, so.. I guess that's just a word for people thinking "84 is no big deal".

That being said.. I think as long as you keep the rooms ventilated with moving air from the fans and you keep an eye on the dog, and the dog isn't being asked to perform gymnastics or anything :p Then if 84 is the highest it's gonna get, it probably isn't going to be a problem.

The frozen bottle of water suggestion definitely works but I mean.. we used to do that for chinchillas in extreme temps because they are sensitive to heat stroke and I honestly don't think it's necessary if the temp is sitting at 84 and that's the highest it's gonna get. But again, it does work.
please check out my sig ..thanks

its very unlikely that a healthy younger pug is going to suffer from heat stroke in a 84 apartment.....yes I could see if the dog was elderly or sick maybe or if the dog was worked up over a long period of time
but as long as the dog is kept relatively calm and there is water and fans....I don't think its something to freak out about

My pug is out in 84 degree(and hotter) weather all the time....camping, walking, playing .....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts