Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am proud mommy to a Yorkie (2-years-old) and a Pomeranian (a little over 1-years-old).

In the past couple of weeks I have noticed that my Pom has started licking his back feet more frequently. He's also been extra "snorty" too. Also, he seems to be attempting to lick myself and my fiance more and more. Then tonight, about an hour ago, he was on my lap trying to lick me, the blanket, everything. So I tried to make him stop and he jumped off and ran over very "jumpy-like" and started licking the bed, the floor, the walls. I was saying his name (he always responds) but it was like he couldn't stop licking. So I got up and started towards him. He then shuddered and his tail was down and he was kind of scooting across the floor until I was able to reach him. (I have never hit my dog or do anything that would make him afraid of me - even when he's gotten into something, or holding my sock or something, he never runs from me and always allows me to get it from him with no struggle at all - he'll even get stuff from my other dog - who's hard to catch - and then give it up to me, but that's getting off the subject). Anyways.. I held him for a little bit and he still tried to lick everything, my arm, my shirt, his feet... the air even. I tried googling it and I'm finding everything from strokes & brain tumors to acid reflux & indigestion to something "anal" that requires draining. It's really late on a Sunday night (I just moved to Hong Kong a little over a month ago) and have yet to find a vet. Also, it would need to be an emergency vet at this time of night. I was thinking I'll take him in tomorrow morning but hoping someone could ease my worrying tonight and tell me they've had similar symptoms and everything turned out ok (and relatively inexpensive - ie. no surgery required).

Thank you to anyone who can help me out.. I'm sick to my stomach thinking about everything that "could be" going on with him. I don't know what I can do.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
For your own piece of mind, I would stay away from googling things like that-it will just make you paranoid-I know it's hard to do, I admit I do it all the time, and then I go into the vet thinking I'll have to put my cat/dog down, and all they need is some shot that costs 10 bucks. Anyway-just find a vet and bring him in asap. I would be concerned, but don't lose sleep over it-did you look him over, make sure he doesn't have any thorns or anything in his pads. My lab is a licker-licks the walls, the floor-himself, us, it's never ending. He will bath the cat to (I'm convinced the cat is to lazy to bathe himself, so he just goes to Loki and Loki licks him down). The downfall to Loki licking as a puppy-is he got Giardia a lot, and picked up a lot of bad bacteria-I think he did it so much his immune system is immune to almost everything. So instead of researching the problem-research a good vet, and bring him in. If you go to the vet and find out nothing is wrong, and he is just a licker-bitter apple spray sometimes works.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
My Shep mix will frantically lick the carpet if she is going to throw up. Usually once she vomits she is fine. Just a random upset stomach.

If the dog isn't better by the am, definitely see a vet. Personally, Right now I'd be taking her out on a leash to a grassy area, so she can eat grass and make herself throw up, if that is what she needs to do because of an upset stomach.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts