Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! My roommate and I are looking for some advice. So recently we have been experiencing some pretty serious fights between our two dogs, who have otherwise happily lived together for almost two years now. To give some background information, our two dogs, Akeda ( Siberian husky) and Luna (Boston terrier/ pit), have been living together for about two years now. They both have came from abusing households so both can be kind of nervous and scared of noises or others. They had few minor scuffles over territory or food but nothing this serious. But recently we have taken in some friends that needed a place to stay that also have two dogs (lab-terrier mix and German pointer). Both of ours are female and their two are male. They both play very well with the pointer dog that hasn’t been fixed(only animal that hasn’t been). Is there any possibilities or jealousy maybe. We’ve all been living together for about a month and a half now. Until last week they all seemed to be very happy together. But over the past week Akeda and Luna have gotten into 3 serious fights. It doesn’t appear that there is a specific trigger: no food around, no toys, no aggressive play leading to fighting. There are also not obvious signs leading to the attacks: no raised hair or growling. They seem perfectly fine until they aren’t, and both snap at each other out of nowhere. We realize they added people and pets can be very stressful, even if they don’t appear stressed by the new dogs. If anyone has any advice or have a recommendation for a trainer we appreciate any information we can get to keep our pups safe and happy! Thank you!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I would ask your vet for a referral to a certified veterinary behaviorist. You can locate one here https://www.dacvb.org/search/custom.asp?id=4709 Meanwhile, I would institute a strict crate and rotate regimen, only allowing out sets of dogs who agree with each other, keeping an eye on them at all times, and crating or otherwise confining them in separate locations when there isn't someone to watch them.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Two females are fighting. Very common with female dogs. This would have likely developed eventually but the catalyst of new dogs being added probably just brought it out sooner.

You have to separate the two female dogs and probably will have to do so for the duration of their lives. Bitch fights are nothing to play with as bitches will kill each other (or try to).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts