Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dog gave birth to 11 little springer spaniels 5 days ago.
We recognised that she went in labour on the Saturday and started having them at 12 the next morning,
All off the pups lived and are doing fine now,
However when she had the puppies she was scared, she didn't lick or even look at the pups at first and we had to cut the bags and cords,
Later she licked them and was trying to help, but none of them would of lived without human help,
Now she's feeding them but she keeps getting up and following my mother, her owner, and won't sit down and feed them and when she does she seems like she just want to get up and move,
She's also digging in the coner of the back yard trying to get under are shed,
I just want to know basic information and advise for young dog mothers and stuff like when springer spaniels usually can hear and see or any early illnesses which can be prevented ect.. Thanks muchly
Sam.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Yay. Puppies.

Do you have a whelping box with an interior rail? That is where the puppies need to be kept.

Is the whelping box (and nursing area) where it is calm and quiet? Of course you are weighing the puppies every day so you can tell which wones are gaining and how much and which ones may need supplemental feeding (that many puppies do need supplemental milk replacer for puppies).

It sounds like she wants to move her puppies to the area under the shed. Do not allow her to do this.

You need to take Mother and Puppies to the Vet for a check up and follow up. Hopefully the Mother (Bitch) was vaccinated in the 6 months prior to being bred so puppies have some immmunity to common disease. The Vet will advise you on eyes opening and the rest. I could as well, but considering your total lack of knowledge and the fact that you do not have a breeding mentor, you need to see the vet with your dog and this litter and go there and ask.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
How old is the dam (mother)? I assume by the way you are describing this is her first litter.

I second taking mom and litter to the vet, as all litters should be seen by a vet asap to make sure there is nothing wrong with them and to make sure mom hasn't retained any placentas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts