Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another forum, but no one thought it was an issue and that I was expecting too much from the dog... but I don't think so, so if anyone could help that would be great.

So, my dog is 3 1/2 and a rescue and i've had her for under a year, and still have this issue. At home, I have a designated pee area for the dogs so that they only go to the bathroom there.
Now with this dog when I take her to it ( she is always on a leash outside) I give her the command to go and she does every single time. I praise her and then as we start walking back to the house or meandering around the property or whatever, she will just squat and pee.
It really frustrates me as I JUST had her out to the bathroom and she goes but then proceeds to pee away from the pee area like 5 minutes later while we are checking on the other animals or whatever we happen to be doing. It's like she has no control and just goes whenever and wherever she feels like it.

How do I stop this? I give her lots of praise when she goes in the right spot and I reprimand her for peeing anywhere else...so why does she keep doing it?

ps. I hope what i'm trying to say makes sense.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I think you're expecting way too much from a dog. Most people on this board are posting because their dog pees inside, you have a dog that pees entirely outside, but not only in one specific spot. You shouldn't reprimand her for peeing in the wrong place. Very likely, she can't tell the difference between one spot outside and another, so your behavior seems insane to her- rewarding for peeing outside one second and then reprimanding for the same thing the next.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Uh, yeah, pee just soaks into the ground, I don't really see why it matters if she pees elsewhere. Dogs mark. My dog pees every five seconds outside. It's only natural.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh! Why does everyone think I am expecting too much? None of my other dogs EVER do this, just her. I don't see why she needs to pee somewhere after I JUST took her out and she went...

And to the "dogs mark".. um maybe yours do but I do not allow my dogs to mark anywhere, they pee once and then that is it until the next bathroom break. I don't want dog pee and crap all over my yard and blueberry/strawberry/raspberry plants.

I guess i'm on my own on this one as everyone seems so slack with their pets. Perhaps my other dogs are "robots" as I have heard them referred to.. but to me is it just very well trained. Thanks anyways.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Ugh! Why does everyone think I am expecting too much? None of my other dogs EVER do this, just her. I don't see why she needs to pee somewhere after I JUST took her out and she went...

And to the "dogs mark".. um maybe yours do but I do not allow my dogs to mark anywhere, they pee once and then that is it until the next bathroom break. I don't want dog pee and crap all over my yard and blueberry/strawberry/raspberry plants.

I guess i'm on my own on this one as everyone seems so slack with their pets. Perhaps my other dogs are "robots" as I have heard them referred to.. but to me is it just very well trained. Thanks anyways.
I have been able to train "Some" of my dogs to go PP and #2 in designated areas of the yard...
I do understand why you would like this.
Dog urine kills the grass and who wants poops all over the Yard ?

Unfortunatly right now I have a dog that thinks my entire backyard is a toilet...
Its not a major issue..but if you find an answer to this let me know!
Thanx!

·
Banned
158 Posts
Dogs bladders are actually "designed" (for lack of a better word) to hold pee and let it out in shorter spurts to allow for marking, so having a dog that NEVER pees multiple times during a walk is actually extremely unusual. Marking itself isn't usually an issue, only excessive marking when it is a symptom of boredom, territorial behavior, or unwanted alpha behavior.

You say that you have "other dogs" and "other animals" - depending on how long you have had the other dogs, and how many you have, she is probably still figuring out her place in the pack - are you having any other integration issues? If that is not a problem, then you may have more luck designating a second "pee spot" for her alone. Many dogs intentionally pee over other dogs marks - its just a natural behavior, and pretty useful in multi-dog households. However, some dogs simply prefer to do their business somewhere that does NOT have layers upon layers of other dog scent. If she is having issues integrating into the pack, then it may be less than pleasant to be forced to mark over the alpha dog's scent, especially if she is naturally submissive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow you guys are actually kind!! It is much appreciated! I got called lazy, rude, ignorant and an unfit dog owner when I asked this question on another forum.

Roloni- Exactly!!!! I find it disgusting and do not want to have to worry about stepping in a possible dog pile. Bleh!. I have been working with this girl for months and months now and she just really is having a hard time getting the hang of it, the others I have all trained from young pups so it was a breeze.. plus once you have some dogs that know it, the young ones pick up on it with minimal effort. At least in my experience anyway.

Manyroses- Well, all the dogs would mark if I had let them, but I have never allowed them to as I find it irritating if I am taking them on a walk or just in general. They will only go to the bathroom if I give them the command beforehand. I am really glad that they are this way.

She is quite submissive but gets along really well with the other dogs and fits in great. We have a really good pack dynamic here.
I actually take her very near the other dogs (she is on a leash while the rest are all loose) and it is her own spot and the others have never peed there. She is really good at going there too and listens to the bathroom command every single time.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
You can get the dog to poop in one location with patience, persistence, and praise. However, I believe that a dog will mark places as a point of comfort and to 'remind themselves that they were there.

The accepted reason that dogs mark is that they are "marking their territory," telling other dogs that they were here. I have not scientific evidence and only one 'test' subject :), but I have watched my dog sniff another dog's pee and mark, and I have watched him sniff a bag of cookies on the playground, then mark it. And, the next day, he takes a quick whiff and leaves, rather than taking a deep sniff. On the other hand, if I interrupt him from sniffing or trying to eat something disgusting, the next day he will go back to that spot, attempting again, even if I clean it up. When he's searched a third time with no luck, he pees there and doesn't return.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Do you walk you dog enough? You can curb that marking behavior by encouraging her to mark everywhere else in the neighborhood. She's going to want to pee multiple times, so just unleash it somewhere else. If she empties herself on more interesting places, she might not be so interested mark all over your barkyard (though some dogs love to remark the same spot). Perhaps you can make her stay in the pee area longer and tell her to go pee again and try to encourage her to empty the rest of her bladder. On your way back to the house keep a really close eye on her, if you see her sniff the ground and looks like she's going to pee again tell her "no no" and run back to the pee area. Give her another few minutes and encourage her to pee again. You can also quickly walk back to the house and don't give her time to try to squat and pee. If you're willing to, you can sacrifice another little area (a lot smaller), and make that her designated "mark" spot, I don't know how effective this will be though lol. How big is your yard? If it's not toooo big, you can try to treat it like an extension of the house and potty train her in the yard as if it was the house. On the "accident", you can feed her, train her, and play with her so she knows it isn't a potty. Frequently, go to the potty area and tell her to do her business, lots of praise, perhaps a treat. Don't let her sniff in the yard for very long if at all, treat it like a restricted area that she has to earn time. The longer she can go without an "accident", the longer she can remain in the yard. She has to be supervised and leashed at all times to prevent her from going potty. I hope this helps, unfortunately the smell of grass and nature just seems to entice those potty and marking urges in a dog. Goodluck!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I personally don't see the big deal where she pees but she's not my dog. Maybe you've been lucky with your other dogs, maybe it's just the training you've done b so ut remember, all dogs are different. You got this dog at two years of age from rescue. You most likely don't know what she went through before getting to rescue. It may be better for you to get future dogs as puppies so you can train them before they develop habits you may not like.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I personally don't see the big deal where she pees but she's not my dog. Maybe you've been lucky with your other dogs, maybe it's just the training you've done b so ut remember, all dogs are different. You got this dog at two years of age from rescue. You most likely don't know what she went through before getting to rescue. It may be better for you to get future dogs as puppies so you can train them before they develop habits you may not like.
This. Just like people, different dogs have different abilities. I could never do calculus, for example, but there are many people who can. This doesn't make me stupid or disobedient, I'm just not good at everything I try. My old dog was freaky smart and learned over 200 words, including people's names and colours. My new dog is still struggling over the word "sit" after 5 months of training. (He gets the gesture just fine. It's words he has issues with.) Kabota isn't stupid or bad, he's just not Muggsy.

Killing yourself to teach this dog something because all your other dogs learned it just fine isn't good for either one of you. The most important part of dog training is being realistic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This is in response to everyone.

I live on a farm, so the walking I do with my dogs is on my own property.

When she pees in the yard, it's very different from when I give her the bathroom command. When she knows it's time for the bathroom, she does what a normal dog will do(sniff the ground/ walk around etc) but when she pees in the yard she doesn't give me any signs beforehand that is why it is hard. She doesn't sniff or walk or do anything like that, she'll just be standing or sitting and start peeing... this happens while she is looking at the chickens or watching the other animals or something along the lines of that. Like I said before I just don't really get why she does this as it doesn't really seem like marking to me.

I know all dogs are different but she is a relatively smart dog so i'm going to continue working with her. If I can't ever get her to stop, well there isn't much I can do about that. It's not the end of the world, but if I can stop it then that would be ideal.

Is it possible that she has perhaps a mild UTI or infection etc even though she can hold it all night?

·
Banned
158 Posts
^^ I would consider taking her in for a vet check just in case, especially if she is not squatting or making any kind of "I'm going to pee" movements. Does she seem to strain? I know that it is incredibly difficult to actually see the urine when you are on a farm, because it all soaks into the ground, but can you see any change in color that might indicate an issue? I don't think that this is the issue, but it's always worth doing the check before driving yourself crazy trying to train out a medical issue!!

I honestly think that it may just take persistent correcting and praising (where appropriate) - because you got her at an older age, but trained the others from pups, you are now un-training habits she may have picked up elsewhere. Go back to what you did when the other dogs were younger and still learning to just pee in their spot, and be persistent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah, she gives no signals at all that is why I don't get it. I don't really think it is medical considering she can hold it all night.

Well, I don't think she strains. The one thing she does do that I personally have never encountered before, is when I take her to the bathroom, she will start peeing for a bit and then proceed to run around while still peeing... like is that normal?
She doesn't do that when she spontaneously pees in the yard as her attention is focused on something else, but she does it almost everytime at the bathroom area.

ETA could this be more of a bladder control issue?

ETA again Ugh I just have no idea, i'm stumped lol.

·
Banned
158 Posts
^^^Huh - I've never seen THAT! I would take her out to pee on the leash, then let her sniff around normally to find her spot, but then use the leash to keep her there until she is done - no running around while she's mid-stream! When walking, is she even stopping to pee, or does it just seem to come out without her even noticing?

It may be medical despite holding it all night - if she has an irritation in the urethra, it wouldn't affect her ability to hold it, but it might mean that going is uncomfortable, and so you get stop and start peeing...Most likely not a medical issue, but double check it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do take her on a leash, it has to be a flexi lead though as she likes to move around and a normal leash doesn't give her enough room. So I can't really keep her in one spot.

Well, she walks/ runs around to find a spot, she squats and pees for a bit then gets up and runs around while she is still peeing... like she is once again looking for a spot even though she just went. And it's not like getting up and only having a few dribbles left, it's a lot of pee.
It doesn't seem like she realizes because she runs around completely normal....It's quite vile as the pee flies all over her back legs and tail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts