Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some advice on my 11 week old Australian Shepherd Heeler mix. She's very rough when playing with other dogs and does not respect their space. Sometimes she'll nip them as well. Currently I'm working on teaching her self control but I'd really appreciate some tips that could help me with this, especially since she's a herding dog and this is my first one.

I also have a few questions concerning an encounter she's had in the past. We were staying over at a friends' house and they have a 2 year old unspayed Pug. For the first while they played together just fine, but soon behavior in both dogs changed and Diamond (my pup) started to nip at Pookie (friend's dog). Pookie would nip back, and the play would escalate into what looked like a fight. They were separated and Diamond would snarl and lunge at the pug, but when she couldn't get to her, Pookie would lunge at her and attempt to grab her. They were absolutely fine with each other when Diamond wasn't in a playful mood. I'm thinking this happened due to the adult female not being spayed as well as her being slightly territorial, but I'm no expert and I really would like to get to the bottom of this. The last thing I want is to have my puppy turn aggressive.
I'm making sure she gets tons of exercise and playtime as well as rest, but she's very excitable and when she sees another dog she'll run to them and jump on them playfully. She's not possessive of anything in any way. She does, however start tugging at toys when she's playing. We've stopped any sort of tug-of-war playing since.

For those familiar with this behavior, does it sound like budding aggression or just normal herding dog behavior? Again this is my first herding dog and I know that they can exhibit herding/nipping and chasing behaviors but I'm not sure if this is such a case. Should I contact a professional to help with this or should I continue teaching her patience and self control without assistance? Does anyone know of a reputable positive/clicker trainer in Kansas?

Thanks so much. :) Feel free to ask any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I said to myself, 'Hollow,' I says, 'this sounds a lot like Diamond's problem'.
And then I see. xD

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
In general I think puppies learn a lot by being corrected by adult dogs. Especially since yours is only 11 weeks old, there is a lot of time to be obnoxious :D I've seen overly rowdy puppies be pinned by adult dogs before (but no injuries) and generally owners let it happen. And generally, puppies have a 'license' with older dogs and are allowed to get away with more, and with more minor corrections. But I've also seen cases, and been that owner, where the dogs are separated and allowed to cool down if things get too rowdy. Personally, I think the situations you described are not turning your dog aggressive and I don't think the other dog's behavior has anything to do with her not being spayed. The territorial thing might be worth considering... Perhaps have them play somewhere that is neutral ground?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts