Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just been kind of surprised with an 8 week old black lab/german shepherd mix. I have her for the next month. I'm trying to train her in all possible ways, and so far it's going okay I suppose. I'm going to have to house break her and teach her not to bite, but that looks like it's expected.

The real problem is trying to get her cage trained. When I put her in the cage for the night and go to sleep, she's fine. She knows I've settled in and she usually whines and cries for a minute or so and then settles herself.

HOWEVER, when she's done something during the day that requires her to go in the cage (like peeing on the floor and then not finishing outside), she sees that I'm not settling in and she starts yelping and even howling. It's very loud, and I live in an apartment. I can't have her making all of this noise, or my neighbors are going to complain.

Would moving her crate to another room be effective to stop her from doing this, or is there a better way? I know that the usual advice is to just ignore it and teach her that it does her no good, but as long as I'm in the room, she doesn't stop, and I can't afford to let her learn by allowing her to howl for 10 minutes before she stops. Some have even suggested getting a dog whistle, but I don't know about any of that.

Help please!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sounds like you are using the crate as punishment for peeing in the house. Noways she will relate being chucked in a crate as being a punishment - she sees it as being seperated from you whilst you still walk around freely. A bit of seperation anxiety training will help you here.
Google "crate games" and start with the basics working up to leaving her alone in the room for short periods.

The only other alternative is to leash the dog to you and ensure you take her outside every hour.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I would have to second the above post - don't use the crate as punishment!! Dogs are very sensitive to people, and if you are stomping around all frustrated because she peed in the house (we all know that it can be really frustrating when that happens - it's pretty impossible to keep a calm, positive energy when you have just discovered a puddle!) it won't help her settle down. Most people who crate for punishment also physically do it very differently than when they are doing it to put a dog down for the night. Bedtime gets lots of cuddles, soft voices, and soothing while gently being put in the crate. Punishment crating gets angry talking, a quick scoop up and PLOP into the crate and the door shut within the minute!

That said, if you are crating because you have to do something - my pup has to go in her crate when I sweep, otherwise she happily attacks the broom like a giant toy! - or because you just know that she needs to calm down a little (after feeding, or just when you can sense that there is a whirlwind a-coming), and you are putting her in there gently and with lots of praise but she is STILL whining...then it may be a good idea to turn the crate away or put it in another room. We found that Dita settles MUCH faster if we aren't around and she is being crated during the day, even if she just can't see us anymore. However, we did have to build up to it with lots of positive crate training - not just dumping her in there and walking away. Now, I'll pop her in her crate after a walk when I need to work, and she'll just yawn and get straight to sleep!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yep, keep thr pup tied to you (google 'umbilical cord training' also while you are on google) it's IMO a better way to train, that way she never gets out of your sight, the only time I use the crate is when I have to shower or want to take nap or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts