Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have an 11 week old French Bulldog/Boston Terrier X named Boomer, we have had him for 3 weeks now. I found this forum when we first brought him home at 8 weeks and have found lots of great information. We are working our way through with housebreaking, and finally seeing some good progress.

My main concern is that he will chase and nip at my kids (9, 7 and 4). We have been clapping our hands, stopping moving and saying "NO!" and then showing him a toy that he is allowed to chew on. When he is chewing on hands and gets too rough we say "OUCH!" or "NO" and it seems to be working a bit. But there are times when it seems that he just refuses to listen and all 3 of the kids have been nipped quite hard because he was nipping at their clothes and caught a chunk of skin. I want to do this right and have a well-behaved dog, but right now the kids are getting a little scared of him. Which kind of defeats the purpose of getting a family dog that they have begged for years to get. Anyhow, any advice on how to get him to stop this seemingly fun activity would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Start using the timeout method. He nips put him into a boring room by himself for 2 minutes. Bring him back in after 2 minutes and if he does it again then repeat until he stops. He will stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Westhighlander, I will try the time-out method. He just gets so wound-up when the kids get home from school, that he seems to lose all control. (I have a special place in my heart for those westies, grew-up with two and they were awesome pets)

And Dogs, yes I have read the bite stops here, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts