Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i am new here and seeking some help. 5 weeks ago i got a new puppy and he was 7 weeks old the day i got him, now 12 weeks. He is a american pit bull terrier. I have owned these dogs for the past 23 years. I am having a serious problem with him that ive never experienced to this level with past pups. He bites constantly! He just bites and bites. You cant touch him without him biting. If i walk through the house hes biting my pants leg. I know puppies go through this to a point but this is crazy! Ive got LOTS of money tied up in all sorts of chew toys and he doesnt want anything to do with any of them..he would rather bite on us and steal our shoes, pillows, socks, etc.. Ive tried sticking a chew toy in his face every time he is biting but he just ignores it and doesnt want it. Ive also been trying to walk him on a leash and thats a joke also. He just grabs the leash and tries to play tug, OR just pulls to the extent that im afraid he's going to choke himself. Ive been to 2 puppy obedience classes with him so far but not really done much yet. Anyone have any helpful things to do here? I need help as i want this dog to grow up with manners so i can take him places with me without issues.
thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He will only play with the kong until the treats are out of it then he wont touch it. I put peanut butter in it and it doesnt take him long to get it out.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
I would start with some serious management! Did this pup have a litter? He was taken from his litter a bit early, and even that lost week can make a difference in general bitey-ness. And some dogs just like to bite, lol.

First, set up a "safe space" for YOU haha! You can do this by placing baby gates throughout your house, using an exercise pen, or some sort of obstacle that will prevent the puppy from physically being able to get to you. When you are playing with the pup and the pup bites, redirect to a toy. If the pup ignores the toy and continues to bite you (as you have expressed he does!), get up and leave. Step over a baby gate, into an exercise pen, close a door, whatever, just remove yourself. Playtime ends for about 5-10 minutes, then try again. Rinse and repeat.

This is not an overnight fix. It will take ages. Patience and consistency is key. Some dogs take MONTHS to stop being little land sharks, but it will end as they gain impulse control learn what is and is not okay to bite!

For the leash walking, try a chain leash. They're no fun to bite. I wouldn't use those when the dog is an adult, but it works for puppies. Also, make sure the pup NEVER gets anywhere pulling. Stop and wait for pressure on the leash to release. Praise, and continue walking. You likely won't get in two steps before the pup is pulling again. Rinse and repeat. Make sure reward with yummy treats for walking nicely! You likely won't get out of your yard or past your driveway, but that doesn't matter much for pups who don't need that much exercise.

Some other tips:

1. Try making a tug out of fleece for the pup. It's softer than rope tugs and might be more appealing to him. They are cheap and easy to make.

2. Pick up your house! Make sure everything that the pup can get into is up and out of reach. The only things available to him should be his toys.

3. If you know you're going to be walking around the house, it might help to have the pup crated or behind baby gates so he can't grab your pants.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would start with some serious management! Did this pup have a litter? He was taken from his litter a bit early, and even that lost week can make a difference in general bitey-ness. And some dogs just like to bite, lol.

First, set up a "safe space" for YOU haha! You can do this by placing baby gates throughout your house, using an exercise pen, or some sort of obstacle that will prevent the puppy from physically being able to get to you. When you are playing with the pup and the pup bites, redirect to a toy. If the pup ignores the toy and continues to bite you (as you have expressed he does!), get up and leave. Step over a baby gate, into an exercise pen, close a door, whatever, just remove yourself. Playtime ends for about 5-10 minutes, then try again. Rinse and repeat.

This is not an overnight fix. It will take ages. Patience and consistency is key. Some dogs take MONTHS to stop being little land sharks, but it will end as they gain impulse control learn what is and is not okay to bite!

For the leash walking, try a chain leash. They're no fun to bite. I wouldn't use those when the dog is an adult, but it works for puppies. Also, make sure the pup NEVER gets anywhere pulling. Stop and wait for pressure on the leash to release. Praise, and continue walking. You likely won't get in two steps before the pup is pulling again. Rinse and repeat. Make sure reward with yummy treats for walking nicely! You likely won't get out of your yard or past your driveway, but that doesn't matter much for pups who don't need that much exercise.

Some other tips:

1. Try making a tug out of fleece for the pup. It's softer than rope tugs and might be more appealing to him. They are cheap and easy to make.

2. Pick up your house! Make sure everything that the pup can get into is up and out of reach. The only things available to him should be his toys.

3. If you know you're going to be walking around the house, it might help to have the pup crated or behind baby gates so he can't grab your pants.
Thanks for the reply! I do have a metal chain type leash so will try it. He was in a litter and i got him at 7 weeks old. He is slowly getting better with the biting! The new issue is excited barking! Took him inot petco twice over the weekend and he gets so excited that he starts barking non stop! I dont have a clue how to work on controlling that..
He is doing better at the leash pulling as long as hes not excited. He still does it when other dogs are around but not much when its just him and i, so thats good! We really love this little guy!

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I do have a metal chain type leash so will try it. He was in a litter and i got him at 7 weeks old. He is slowly getting better with the biting! The new issue is excited barking! Took him inot petco twice over the weekend and he gets so excited that he starts barking non stop! I dont have a clue how to work on controlling that..
He is doing better at the leash pulling as long as hes not excited. He still does it when other dogs are around but not much when its just him and i, so thats good! We really love this little guy!
Sounds like a little excitement reactivity. Check out the Reactivity Sticky thread at the top of the dog training forum. It's for both fear and excitement/frustration reactivity, but the training method is the same. You will basically be teaching the pup to focus on you, and rewarding calm behaviors. It's good to start on this training now, because its' much easier to handle a little 12 week old puppy than a barking, lunging, crazy 50+ lb. dog! It does get a bit better with age, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts