Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum ? I needed some advice on those who introduced a second dog into their home and the time it took for both dogs to become acclimated.

I have had my dog Patrick since he was about 8 weeks old. He is currently 10 months. He loves dog parks, loves my parents dogs, loves my friends dog. We really wanted to get him a friend for when we are at work.

It took a lot of time and research but we finally found a pup that was going to go to the pound from a family who had has the pup for less than a year (they had gotten him from the pound as well). This pup is 1 year and 4 months. So he is older, but he is still the new dog to the family.

I need help on how long it will take for them to like each other. My original dog is very aggressive toward the new dog in regards to my affection (saying hi and kisses), toys and ESPECIALLY food. They have gotten into full on fights and bit each other over food. It is always the original dog initiating it though. I am getting him training and feeding and playing separately but my main issue is next.

My main concern is my original dog has had stress diarrhea for two days now. I am at the point of feeling HORRIBLE. my innocent dog is suffering from the new dog and my intentions were so pure. I just wanted so save one dog and give a friend to the other.

Is this stress going to go away? I understand his whole routine is interrupted and shifted, but I don’t want him to be miserable. I also don’t want to give up too soon and disrupt the new dogs life anymore. He is so attached to me as I am to him already. He is a sweetheart.

So some success stories would be nice.. advice appreciated. I am so torn and hurting and feeling so guilty and I just don’t know what to do. I do want to stress: It has only been 6 days and other than the resource aggression, they sleep next to each other and walk together and play. But my original dog is obviously stressed and that’s hurting me.

Wow. Lots of rambles. Look forward to the advice.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Personally, I would not trust a resource guarder alone with another dog even if what you think of as resources (food, toys, treats) are removed because a dog that resource guards to the point of full on fights (and/or that the other dog does not back off if the guard air snaps or warns him off) because a dog can decide to guard his bed or the couch etc and a moderate fight in the presence of humans can quickly become a severe or even deadly fight when no human is there to intervene.

Its generally not recommended to get one dog "for" the other dog. Only get a second or third dog because the humans want that dog for himself. In large part because of what you are seeing now-- you cannot always predict how dogs will get along even if they normally like other dogs while out in public.

Its been a very shor time so while it is possible they will acclimate to each other, IMO it is fairly likely that they should never be left alone together and thay resources will always have to be carefully managed.

In terms of rehoming the new dog, if you think of him as a foster dog that you saved from heading to the shelter and are keeping care of until a permanent home is found, would that change your perspective on the situation?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts