Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, I have a 5 year old dog who's never really shown any signs of aggression before until recently. A few weeks back he would kind of growl at my Girlfriend whenever she would come towards his general area faster than usual. this only happened a few times until the other day she was helping me take off my boot and he actually gave her a small nip. Today he grabbed one of her socks and when she tried to get it back, he growled at her and barked and displayed some very standoff-ish behavior. at this point i gave him a slight smack on the rump. all of this happened after she got done petting him for like 20 mins. What am i I doing wrong? any ideas as to what could be going on? What can i do to address this issue. I would like to think he would never actually try to bite her but at this point it looks like a possibility. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Honestly knowing my dogs to be of good nature in behavior, the first reactions from me, would not be towards the dog, I would look at the other person and ask what have you done to my dog. That's the first place I would start. The second consideration would be any medical situations that might be affecting a change in behavior. Having an individual dog that was naturally a but head, I would just put them away when their behavior was inappropriate in a group, either in a crate while company was there, or baby gate off the area we were in. I would rather a dog express themselves freely so you know where they at towards a situation, then to stop openly expressing themselves because your physically correcting them , but only to be silent, not changing their behavior and you don't see it coming in future events. No malice towards them, they just loose their privilege to be the group.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! He constantly seeks attention from her and is excited when he sees her, so that is what's got me baffled. it almost seems like he's resource guarding and/or trying to protect me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts