Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just rescued a 4 year old black lab. He was grossly neglected. He's very skinny and had been held in a crate sometimes for 14 hours straight! He is the sweetest boy. Gets along great with my two dogs and is very loving. He's not housebroken so I'm working on that. Last night we let him stay loose in the house and he marked all over the place. Previous owner said he was housebroken...ok so today his crate is up. He will stay in the crate while we are not here to supervise. My husband works downstairs in his barber shop so Shadow won't be in his crate all day. My husband has a crate in the barbershop so maybe he'll bring him down there during the time he's working just so the poor little guy won't feel left alone.

My question is while working with him (positive reinforcement) for housebreaking, how do I get him to not lift his leg in the house? When I take him out, he marks the yard, he doesn't empty his bladder all the way. Is there a way I can get him to pee completely outside and not hold any for inside?

Thank you for any input.
Macky

·
Registered
306 Posts
Is he neutered? This won't completely solve the problem but may be a step in the right direction.
Also I have heard about some people using 'Belly Bands". I have no firsthand experience with belly bands but I took in a mature male rescue a few years ago that was not neutered and they gave me a belly band in case he started marking.( I think they knew he would)
I never used it.
First thing I did was have him neutered and then I watched him like a hawk and every time he started looking like he was going to lift his leg I gave him a stern _NAHHA--not exactly "NO" but you know what I mean ( and so did he).
It took a little patience but he is good now-- You just have to keep watching him because once he does it somewhere his will keep trying to go back to the same place-- so be sure to clean the spot with something that neutralizes the odor.
Just be patient with him and remember he has not had a great life so far so you don't want to scare him with punishment. Just let him know its not acceptable with the "noise"--take him outside when he tries to do it and keep telling yourself "He doesn't know whats wrong unless I teach him"
Also I would not let him wander around unattended until you are sure you have the problem under control.
Good luck with him and thanks for rescuing him.
Also if he was forced to hold his urine for long periods of time in the past be sure to have the vet check his urine for infection and/or crystals

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding. He is neutered. He is crated while we are not in the house with him but it's for very short periods as my husband is up and down often (his shop is downstairs). When he comes up he lets him out and puts him back in when he goes back downstairs. I don't want him being in the crate for long periods since he spent so much time there before. So far today he has not lifted his leg. I'll try the belly band too and he is going to the vet asap. Thanks again!
Macky

1 - 3 of 3 Posts