Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of background info first. We have a 3yo mix breed dog we got when she was about 6 months. at first she was very hyper and not so well behaved but over the last couple of years she has became a fantastic dog with love and training. I have a 9yo son and a 1yo son and the dog is great with both but now the dog thinks that the baby is her puppy or something.
When the baby was newborn she had very little interest, but about 3 months ago when my son was 9months she started constantly following him about, getting worried when strangers hold him and other general stuff. Over the last few weeks it has gotten alot worse as now the dog is going through a false pregnancy, she has started lactating and trying to nurse the baby, she tries to lick him clean when i'm changing his nappy and I have to make sure that and nappies are immediately put in the outside bin or she tries to eat them (she's never done that before). She gets very distressed when she cant be beside the baby and spends alot of the night whining and pacing around the house when the baby is in his crib.
I dont have any worries that she would ever hurt the baby as she has been amazingly gentle with him (I have common sense though and dont leave them unattended etc) but I'm worried about my dog, she seems to be getting more distressed over the last week and I dont know how to help her. I am going to get her nuetered/sprayed/whatever the term is in a few months but is there anything I can do now to help her

·
Registered
11,349 Posts
If the dog is not spayed (the term is spayed for females; neutered for males) then are you sure that the dog is not pregnant? I would take her into the vet's right now to check and have her spayed now. If she is pregnant but not too far along, you can have an emergency spay done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts