Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:

I have 2 Dachshunds about 13 lbs and 15 lbs. Brother and sister. 9 Months old. Male and Female.

Both have been spayed and neutered.

The male is wonderful. He sometimes is stubborn with commands but has become potty trained to hold it til he goes outside. However, if not watched 100% of the time he will potty in the house. He can be a very big and obnoxious whiner at times but we try to control that by not giving him attention at those times and he only whines when he is in his kennel. He generally has a calm demeanor except when people come to visit or playtime. He gets very animated and excited. This seems fairly normal for a young dog.

The female has issues with constantly peeing everywhere. When I even come close to the kennel to let her out after I wake up, she will start to pee. We cover the kennel at night to keep them warm and draft free and calm them. When she pees in her kennel she will bow her head and have her tail tucked. It seems that she probably knows that it was wrong. When I bring her to the door to go out, she will unload at the door too. Same behavior as in the kennel. Bow her head and tuck her tail. Then she goes out and she unloads some more. I then praise her and sometimes give her a treat.

They both go out separately to do potty time and have separate kennels. We have a fenced back yard so I don't always go out with them but I step out to give them praise or treat after each poop or pee. I then let them inside to sit with me on the couch or play with each other.

Food times are regular. noon and 6pm. I don't stray from that too much unless we need to run somewhere. I then put them in their kennel after eating for at least 30m. Usually they end up napping for awhile, up to 2 hours.

We cover them about 930p in the kennels and put them to bed regardless if we go to bed. They always go right to sleep til the morning when I wake up. They have chew toys to chew on if they end up waking up and I'm not up.

Playtime is usually in the house during the winter. In the summer I go outside with them off and on. They zip across the yard for hours and hours. Yesterday they did it for 5 hours straight of pure play and what looked like they were having loads of fun. The weather was great with lots of sun.

I have back issues from a military injury and unable to get around easily. Walks are difficult for me. However, I am trying to lose weight and find other activities or exercise that might help me and possibly help the dogs as well. I do have a fear of other dogs on these walks that might attack and I have limited react ability.

I thought about buying a treadmill like Cesar Milan does with some of the dogs he helps. Is that really that helpful? I don't see hardly any comments on this forum about many people using one. I also have 2 dogs. That might be a 2 hour commitment to make sure that these dogs get their exercise separately on the treadmill. It might be better to have a combined exercise.

Also I have considered roller blades or inline skates. I see Cesar do that too. However, with my issues, I wonder if it would even be good for me with my back issues. That is an expensive lesson if it turns out I can't do it comfortably.

So my issue:

Am I doing the right things with my female to someday not pee at all in the house? Maybe she will grow out of it?

What age are the considered adult? Reproductive age at 6 months or is it a year?

Any exercise ideas I may not have considered that will be good for my dogs? Is running around in the back yard adequate? considering my issues.

They also tend to wrestle pretty rough with each other during playtimes. Outside and inside. Is that something to be concerned about?

They can also sit with about 90% consistency on first command. They are pretty good with stay after they have sit. I started to teach down and the female has picked up fast. The male has no clue yet for some reason lol

I just want to know if I'm doing the right things.

Please help and I respect everyone's opinions.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Background:

I have 2 Dachshunds about 13 lbs and 15 lbs. Brother and sister. 9 Months old. Male and Female.

Both have been spayed and neutered.

The male is wonderful. He sometimes is stubborn with commands but has become potty trained to hold it til he goes outside. However, if not watched 100% of the time he will potty in the house. He can be a very big and obnoxious whiner at times but we try to control that by not giving him attention at those times and he only whines when he is in his kennel. He generally has a calm demeanor except when people come to visit or playtime. He gets very animated and excited. This seems fairly normal for a young dog.

The female has issues with constantly peeing everywhere. When I even come close to the kennel to let her out after I wake up, she will start to pee. We cover the kennel at night to keep them warm and draft free and calm them. When she pees in her kennel she will bow her head and have her tail tucked. It seems that she probably knows that it was wrong. When I bring her to the door to go out, she will unload at the door too. Same behavior as in the kennel. Bow her head and tuck her tail. Then she goes out and she unloads some more. I then praise her and sometimes give her a treat.

She may be submissively urinating. Google "submissive urination" There are things you can do to help it. Smaller dogs have smaller bladders, and she may need to go out later to go potty, before bed. Whatever you do, do not scold her if she pees when you go get her out. It'll make it worse. Consider a vet check for a UTI. Often, being unable to hold their bladder is the first sign of a UTI.

They both go out separately to do potty time and have separate kennels. We have a fenced back yard so I don't always go out with them but I step out to give them praise or treat after each poop or pee. I then let them inside to sit with me on the couch or play with each other.

Food times are regular. noon and 6pm. I don't stray from that too much unless we need to run somewhere. I then put them in their kennel after eating for at least 30m. Usually they end up napping for awhile, up to 2 hours.

We cover them about 930p in the kennels and put them to bed regardless if we go to bed. They always go right to sleep til the morning when I wake up. They have chew toys to chew on if they end up waking up and I'm not up.

Playtime is usually in the house during the winter. In the summer I go outside with them off and on. They zip across the yard for hours and hours. Yesterday they did it for 5 hours straight of pure play and what looked like they were having loads of fun. The weather was great with lots of sun.

I have back issues from a military injury and unable to get around easily. Walks are difficult for me. However, I am trying to lose weight and find other activities or exercise that might help me and possibly help the dogs as well. I do have a fear of other dogs on these walks that might attack and I have limited react ability.

I thought about buying a treadmill like Cesar Milan does with some of the dogs he helps. Is that really that helpful? I don't see hardly any comments on this forum about many people using one. I also have 2 dogs. That might be a 2 hour commitment to make sure that these dogs get their exercise separately on the treadmill. It might be better to have a combined exercise.

I would skip the treadmill. Too expensive, and time consuming.

Also I have considered roller blades or inline skates. I see Cesar do that too. However, with my issues, I wonder if it would even be good for me with my back issues. That is an expensive lesson if it turns out I can't do it comfortably.

If you have back problems making it difficult to walk, do NOT try rollerblading.

So my issue:

Am I doing the right things with my female to someday not pee at all in the house? Maybe she will grow out of it?

Get a vet check. Take out more often and teach her a cue for peeing...like "go potty" reward with a high value treat, like tiny pieces of cut up hot dog. Take her out later before you go to bed. Read about submissive urination.

What age are the considered adult? Reproductive age at 6 months or is it a year?

Generally a year old.

Any exercise ideas I may not have considered that will be good for my dogs? Is running around in the back yard adequate? considering my issues.

Do you have a dog park they can be taken to? Can you go to a local school and walk on it's track, so you reduce the risk of loose dogs? Or maybe a different neighborhood?

They also tend to wrestle pretty rough with each other during playtimes. Outside and inside. Is that something to be concerned about?

Dogs will play pretty rough and noisily. As long as there is no yelping in pain, or blood, they should be fine.

They can also sit with about 90% consistency on first command. They are pretty good with stay after they have sit. I started to teach down and the female has picked up fast. The male has no clue yet for some reason lol

I just want to know if I'm doing the right things.

Please help and I respect everyone's opinions.
I'd really make an effort to find a place you can walk them, even just for 20-30 min a day. It is good for the dog mentally, to be able to be moving forward and sniffing, and seeing new things. Drive to a different neighborhood if you have to in order to avoid loose dogs. If walking is difficult, look into getting a Hoverround/Scooter. Many times insurance will cover it's cost. You can teach the dogs to walk with you pretty easily.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
First thing a trip to the vet. This is to rule out any urinary infection.
Sounds like a submissive behavior but need to rule out an infection first.
Second thing could you hire a dog walker? Are you thinking with your injuries, owning two dogs are becoming too much?
Do you know of anyone ( a friend, a co-worker, a neighbor) who has knowledge in dog behavior? They can come over and watch your two dogs play. This will give you peace of mind about your dogs playing habit. Some dogs really get vocal when playing and is all just in fun.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I have a mini dachshund and a dachshund chihuahua mix and both were challenging to potty train. We just had to set a very strict schedule for taking them out and stick to it, as they won't let us know when they have to go.

Is the peeing only when she's excited, like to be let out of the kennel and such? One of mine pees every time we go visit my dad because he really loves and gets excited to see my dad.

But, if the peeing is just throughout the whole day, you might amp up your effort to supervise her more closely, so she doesn't have the freedom to have accidents.

And, forget the idea that she knows it's wrong. That's a very common misconception. Dogs can read our emotions really well. So, if you are frustrated with her, she will know. Dogs exhibit "appeasement behaviors ". These are behaviors :hat they think will help convince us not to be mad at them, to appease us. These include lowering their eyes, slinking.g low to the ground, hiding, cowering, tail between their legs, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very good advice! Thank You!

I've been to the vet about a month ago. No infections.

She pees as soon as I open her cover over the kennel.

He behavior when she is loose consists of her tail straight up, head up, and prancing around. When we give her attention though she goes back to that submissive behavior.

I been trying the sit, stay, down, come, and up. She seems to be responding well to that. Last few days especially when I added up and down she seems to be doing it less but she still does it. Today was a great day with her. She didn't pee her bed. She still pee'd when I let her out though. I was also able to touch her without peeing. I think teaching the commands is the trick.

My error I think was trying to do commands to both dogs at the same time. Unless you are experienced, it seems that is probably not the best way. I separate them and they respond faster and easier with the training. The 2nd dog is left in the kennel til done. Together they just want to play.

I appreciate all the advice and I will continue to read these treads (this one and the forum threads) and research these issues the best I can.

Thank You!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Dogs have different personalities, and your girl seems just a bit timid. Try not really giving her all that much direct attention unless she actually approaches you.

My girl is a bit weird that way, too. Sometimes she will cuddle or jump right on my lap and be very affectionate, but at other times she shrinks back when when go to pet her. Now, mind you, we have never hit, spanked, or smacked her, no physical punishment of any kind. But, if she's not up for it, it almost looks like she's fearful.

But, about infections, they can sprout up very quickly without any notice, so no infections a month ago doesn't mean no infections now. HOWEVER, if she's had this peeing problem the whole time, then I'd have to say it's probably not an infection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading your comments, I tried to analyze her behavior. She approached me while they were playing outside with the male dog. She peed when I pet her but she seemed more excited. She then ran off at a distance and sat.

She is usually excited when I uncover her kennel.

I think maybe I should uncover her kennel and walk away. Give a little time that just because I uncover it, doesn't mean I will let her out.

She has been doing this awhile long before the vet visits. They did checkups with each of her shots and when she got fixed. Also she had a rash. She has an allergy to something. It has gone away but still slightly red but no rash. They gave her antibiotics cause maybe her stitches weren't dissolved yet. She was scratching or chewing skin when I wasn't looking. Now that its been 3 months after surgery, the vet wants me to give her benadryl if it ever comes back.

Another explanation maybe that she got used to peeing cause she couldn't hold it due to physical discomfort. Now she has to relearn.

It probably is like others have said though that it could be just purely submissive behavior. After the comments here, I looked up submissive behavior and it seems I need to give her tons of affection, ignore the peeing, hope she grows out of it. They said some dogs never do. I think she is only submissive when I pet her or interact with her. The rest of the time she has her tail straight up, head up, seems confidant and up to something.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I think she is only submissive when I pet her or interact with her. The rest of the time she has her tail straight up, head up, seems confidant and up to something.

Thanks for the advice!
That's what submissive means. When you're not interacting with her, there's nothing to appease. I definitely think she is submissive peeing. Letting her come to you and training to build confidence will help eventually.

I'm concerned about the walking though. Walking isn't just for the movement of legs, it's to provide your dog with new sights, sounds and most importantly smells. That exercises their minds and socializes them. A treadmill or a game of fetch indoors just doesn't provide the stimulation that walking outside does. All dogs need that, and your submissive peer needs it most.

I do sympathize with your medical issues. I have arthritis and walking is sometimes very painful for me- but I do it. Are you cleared to walk by a doctor? Are you receiving appropriate pain management? I take pain medication to be able to walk. I did have to work to find a doctor who was willing to take my pain seriously, and who was willing to admit that managing my pain so I could exercise was far better for me than giving me meds to control high blood pressure, high heart rate, and high cholesterol. (All of which happened, by age 30, because I couldn't exercise. Fortunately, I have a husband to step in to walk the dog.)

If you can walk at all, do it. Even if it's just 5 minutes. Take the dogs. Unless your neighborhood is filled with rabid dogs, I wouldn't worry too much about a dog attack. I just kick dogs aside or smack them with a break stick on the rare occasion something happens, and I'm 5'1", weight 105 lbs and have arthritic hands, so I'm not up to wrestling dogs, either.

REally, for your own health and your dogs' health, walk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You for your support!

I agree with you, it is just something that has to be done. I try walking around the store when I shop for groceries. I take frequent breaks. It just has to be done.

Kind of odd but maybe I'll just take frequent breaks and sit on the curb or something.

How often and how long should I go for with a little breed like a dachshund?
Should I try to walk both dogs together?

Walking is good for my health too since I'm trying to lose weight.

I was very inactive while healing from the injury and I think these dogs are the best thing to happen to me. Forces me to be engaged and open up to new experiences.

In the end, maybe these dogs can help me lose weight and be healthier too! lol

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Trust me, without a dog I cannot get motivated to walk through the pain. Those two months without a dog between Muggsy and Kabota just about killed me.

Sit on the curb if you need to, that's fine. I would walk one dog at a time if you're balance is iffy. If your balance is fine, then both at once. How much time is kind of dog specific, I know doxiemommy has dachshunds, you could ask her. Probably between 30 - 60 minutes, but anything is better than nothing, for you and the dogs.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It is wise to train them seperately. Especially if your female is submissive, your male will hog all the attention. Walks the same way.
Take each dog seperate. You could do this in the a.m. Walk each one for 5-10 minutes. In the p.m. walk them together. Maybe the other part of the 'we' could all go together on these walks. Walks are a great way to talk. My husband and I take our dogs out each evening for a pee-poo walk. (remember to be a good neighbor and clean up) Makes a big difference in our dogs. No nightly accidents or wake-ups in the middle of the night. Plus these walks gives us time to have great talks.

I like your idea of lifting the cover and walking away. Then returning in a few minutes to open the cage. Just open the cage, no spoken words and let her outside. When she comes in after relieving herself, then you can talk to her.

Plus, I like that you have accepted the fact that she may never get over this and you still love her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts