Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yeah, I guess it's time for leash training cause it never has happend to me and well, today was the first walk outside the house with my dog, with a lease but she just won't move, she shakes non stop, I give her like a treat but that doesn't work eitheri give her a tiny pull (dog whispere style) and no result either so well, after 20 mins trying and trying I headed back home.. What can I do to make her walk alongside me? Like I said it never happend before, all dogs I had before, well my family always, always loved walking their first time and no problems, but well compared to the other dogs she's abit more shy character..

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cali was about the same way, sometimes she'd just stand there completely still and refused to move. All I did was continue walking, and she eventually got the message that she had no choice. Now, she walks nicely on the leash and can heel. :) I'd recommend getting a harness though if you don't have one already.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Second try today, progress is made, she walked! lol, now in the midday before going to work another try and when I come back from work probably again to get her used, she gets overexcited when she sees other dogs and people and is abit rough on playing so gotta control that haha but well, 3 months, second time out and seeing other people and dogs so I guess it's a normal reaction but hey! better an excited emotion to play rather than reserved and aggresive I suppose :D

PS; I was thinking of a harness but I've been told when you start it's better a collar since it's more easy to train and control your dog, with a harness you can't control your dog that easily..

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think that's a general misconception for people. Personally, I think a harness is much better when just starting out especially with a dog who pulls.. however when teaching a dog to heel, I use a choke collar (but make sure it's a) the right fit and b) you're using it correctly and c) you don't use it unless you're doing heelwork). A harness just takes the pressure off the neck, so if your dog was to see a squirrel and tries taking off, it won't hurt it's neck. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I second the harness idea. We're training our puppy to walk on a leash (she was deathly afraid of it), and with the collar and leash we couldn't get her to move or she would slip out of it. With the harness, she has no choice but to walk with us and can't slip out of it.

Take babysteps, too...we walked Daisy around the backyard first on the leash, just to get her used to it. We have her going a few houses down the street now. Everyday progress is made...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well second third walk succesfull, at night this time, she's more alert of noises and surroundings then daytime, she has the pose of a guard dog haha really a great pose to see, but well, walking went great, let her loose on a park where there is plenty of grass for her to run abit (she ran and stopped always to check surroundings though) and well for the rest everything good! I got a choke collar now and it's perfect size, I guess I'll get a harness later on. For now she walks next to me without speeding forward or suddenly stop (only when a smell gets her atention but then I stop too so she gets used to the new scents and sounds) Let's see what next day holds for me

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Cali was about the same way, sometimes she'd just stand there completely still and refused to move. All I did was continue walking, and she eventually got the message that she had no choice. Now, she walks nicely on the leash and can heel. :) I'd recommend getting a harness though if you don't have one already.
thats what i did to all of my dogs & i was calledd cruel for doing that on another forum LOL, its not like i was dragging my pup along on asphalt, it was all sandy/ grass surface & i wasnt going very fast, they do rear & fight like broncos sometimes tho LOL but soon they will realise they have no choice but to walk or..... well................walk LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts