Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I had just signed up for this site tonight because we had just gotten two new puppies Duchess and Prince and we find it hard house training them. Can any of you give me some tips or stories. I posted the dog's problems below under their names. They are both 5 / almost 6 months old and this is the first time they have even been shown a leash before. Their old owners had never had them out of a large kennel together.

Duchess: She walks on a leash and such and had gone to the bathroom one time outside but now she won't go outside anymore we are not sure why.

Prince: He will NOT walk on a leash unless its for a treat. We had tried without the treats before we even started it and it didn't work one bit. Since that was not trying we tried to do it with treats. The treats had worked! Problem is that we got him out the door and around the table with no treats in sight but as soon as he got outside and his paws on the sidewalk he just stood there.

Please help!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Training with treats takes more than a few treats. Take the treats outside and keep stuffing them in his mouth. You'll have to do this for at least a week, maybe a few weeks. (For one thing, learning requires sleeping to cement the lessons into long term memory.)

You should look up kikopup on YouTube. She has great step by step videos on training with treats.

For Duchess, take her outside every 20 minutes, after eating, drinking, waking and play. Wait until she goes, then immediately give her a great treat. Housetraining is mostly just preventing accidents. So when she's inside, she needs to be in a small crate, alone, or in an expen or literally tied to you so you can watch her constantly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts