Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.5 year old Chow & Retriever. That we got in Oct 2011.
This is our fist dog. Can someone please tell us how many times a day, should we be feeding him, the time of day and about how much food should we be feeding Samm.:pop2:
Three days this week Samm has been pooping in the house around 3-5 in the am :doh:, when we are sleeping,:sleep: he doesn't know to wake us or wait for us to awake at about 7am to take him out to do his business. We do not have much experience.
We only had him for 6 months. Anybody's help would be greatly appreciated.

100_0888.jpg 100_0898.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have an 80 lb. GSD. I feed him 2 times per day. Morning 2 cups of dry and 5 pm ish 1 and 1/2 cups of dry. I also give him a few tablespoons of cooked ground turkey.

He poops morning and at night.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What are you feeding him? And how much does he weigh? I'm guessing he's a medium size, based on the pic. (Cute dog, by the way!).

With that said, I feed my 51 lb lab 1 1/2 cups a day (of a high quality kibble) and my golden (85 lbs) gets 2 cups a day. My little girl (jrt) gets 1/4 cup. Typically they are only fed at night. I feed around 6 pm--then they'll go out for the last time around 10 when we get ready for bed and they are good through the night. Mine poop in the am and in the pm.

With that said, if he is being fed a food with a lot of fillers (corn, etc) he will have more output. With a high quality kibble, the output is less. Not sure if maybe that is part of it. Or maybe you're feeding a little late for him to be able to potty before bed.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I think a dog that age should be fed twice a day. How much depends on if he is overweigjt, underweight and what you're feeding him. If he's pooping in the house, I suggest you crate train him. Where are you in MA? I'm in NH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts