Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has been acting really weird.

A few months ago we went on holiday and we placed him in a kennel. When we got back he was really nervous and acting weird it climaxed when he bit someone who startled him while my husband took him for a walk.
Luckily the guy only had a scratch and a torn jacket. After that incident we were really careful. He had started barking to people but after several weeks of taking careful walks and rewarding him for not barking. He calmed down.
He can now be walked in busy areas without getting agitated.

Today he tried to kill a cat. A cat he has seen many times before and is really good with. He usually sniffs and when he gets to busy the cat hisses and he leaves him alone.

This time he went for him and I think he was trying to kill him, this wasn't after an altercation. He saw the cat and went for him. He was raised with cats and we still have one as well. He never really chased them and has never been aggressive to them.

I have had a lot of dogs and never encountered this. Those 2 incidents make me really concerned that he behaves unpredictable.

I'm at a loss. Its a great dog that listens really well and is very social but I no longer trust him.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
How old is he? Neutered? Breed?

Many dogs will go after cats that aren't "their" cats. I had a dog that would be fine with my two cats. But if a stray cat came into the yard, they were considered fair game.

My first suggestion would be a full blood workup at the vet. Some imbalances like low thyroid can cause aggression. Other diseases like some tick borne diseases can cause behavioral changes.

I'd make sure he is getting enough exercise (brisk walks for 45 min twice a day), and institute NILIF. NILIF can help many dogs. The dog may have had something happen at the kennel that stressed or scared him, and has now made him feel fearful so he bit out of fear. NILIF can instill confidence because dogs learn that certain behaviors result in certain things. They know what to expect.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Consider these questions:
When you placed him in the kennel, how long was he there, how much noise from barking dogs did he have to deal with, how did they treat him?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

He is 2,5 years old. We have had him for a little over a year. Its a Doberman/Lab mix and although he likes to guard we have taught him well. Doesn't bark when people he knows walk by, I can open the door and he won't run out or even look at the people knocking and even when a stranger walks in without us knowing (drunk) he just kept barking until we came to have a look.

We assumed the kennel really shook him up, it was a really nice place that came recommended by the vet. He was there for 5 days. After the first incident we assumed it was stress and acted to get him back on his feet and it seemed to have worked the nervousness and fear for people disappeared really fast.

We use NILIF although probably not as much as we could.

It was just really worrying that it was a cat that he knew and liked. I would often find them in the garden sitting next to each other. But this time he just went for it and he was vicious. If I hadn't dragged him away the cat would have been dead. I must say that even in his "excitement" there was no lashing at me, even though I wasn't very gentle.

The main concern I have is that before I would have said that both incidents would have been out of character and to have two is a bit scary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts