Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little bit of a problem that I hope someone can help me out with. I have a 8 month old boxer that can really jump! If she is behind the couch and she hears something, she will jump from behind the couch, over the back landing on the seat of the couch and then she jumps over a table in front of the couch. She does all of this without a running start. I have no idea of how to stop this activity. I am afraid she will either hurt herself, or if someone happens to be sitting on the couch when she jumps over the back, they could get hurt.

Whenever she does this I will tell her no jumping, but she refuses to stop.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Is it really the jumping you want to fix or her reactivity to sound?

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I agree with Tooney. It seems the thing you need to replace is the dog's reactivity to sounds. IOW's the jumping is a result of reacting, not an isolated behavior issue.

What do you want your dog to do INSTEAD of jumping? When a dog does a behavior you do not like, you need to think what you want and then train for that.

I would set the dog up with a leash on. Have someone make a noise the dog reacts to and have her do the new behavior (walk around the couch calmly) and reward that with FOOD. This is just ONE idea. You may want to try other things.

You could crate your dog and reward the minute she settles down and is calm after hearing a sound as well.

The object is to replace the undesirable reaction (jumping over the couch) with the desirable reaction you want (walking calmly toward the sound or to the center of the room and sitting). To that end only reward what you want and prevent what you don't want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem with trying to train her to accept certain sounds is I don't even hear what it it that she is reacting to. It's like the puppy in her just kicks in and she goes jumps over the couch and runns towards the door, even though no one is there.

Last night I was sitting on the couch, and then over the back over the couch comes my dog. My wife couldn't believe that this dog could jump as high and far as what she did. This time my dog thought that this was the shortest route to where she wanted to go. She just then laid down in front of the window.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You won't be able to duplicate the sounds because, you're right, alot of them we can't hear. It's the reactivity you want to address and I agree with Elana. You can try making different noises that might set her off and work on an alternate behavior/response instead of jumping. The other thing you want to accomplish is teaching her calmness/confidence with strange sounds...ie; not jumping 4 feet into the air or racing around the house....that's the primary goal.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
You could also move/rearrange the furniture so she cannot get behind the couch...
Just an idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts