Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just signed up to the forum because I have a question about my puppy. I got him when he was about 4 weeks old, I did not know that puppies were supposed to stay longer with their mother and neither did the irresponsible breeder. (he is a male black and brown mini chihuahua)

Anyways, I noticed very soon that when we would walk he would always walk very close to our feet no matter where we went in our home. This really concerned me specially because of him being so small and I feared someone could step on him. I researched it and found that puppies do this when they are separated early from their mothers and siblings because they don't learn to be cautious in what they do and always want to be close to you as if you were their mother.

Well a few days after finding this out my nightmare became a really as my mother accidentally stepped on his head as she was in the kitchen. At first he just layed there and when I picked him up he started crying a lot and his head began to swell.

Immediately took him to the vet, they gave him sedatives and anti swelling followed by multiple more vet visits days after and more sedatives and medications for seizures. It was a little over one long month of caring for him 24 hours a day, but eventually all the swelling Photo Apr 08, 9 26 34 PM.jpg went away and the seizures as well!

He is about to be 1 year old in about a month and he is doing great. The only thing that has not gone away is that when he walks he spins a lot in circles, but only to the left. When we becomes excited he spins even more.

My question is, what can I do if anything to help him recover from this and stop the spinning he does?

Thank you so much and attached is a picture of him taken today.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
If there is neurological damage that is causing the spinning, I don't think there is anything that can be done. Nerves can sometimes recover, but it takes much longer to heal than other body tissues... so the issue may eventually improve, or it may not.

By the way, there's no such thing as a "mini chihuahua" ;-) He's cute though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If there is neurological damage that is causing the spinning, I don't think there is anything that can be done. Nerves can sometimes recover, but it takes much longer to heal than other body tissues... so the issue may eventually improve, or it may not.

By the way, there's no such thing as a "mini chihuahua" ;-) He's cute though!

haha I know there isn't but I call him that because he's so small! Thanks for the response, I guess only time will tell what will happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts