Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.....I need some help and advice for my 3 yr old miniature schnauzer. I fostered her almost 4 months ago, and the one that gave her to me told me that she ate president's choice dry dog food, and would give her some meat, like chicken, beef etc. I bought that food, and gave her as she explained to me, and she wouldn't eat at all. A week went by, and still no change so I tried the cesar dog food, wet/dry, and she liked it so I continued giving her that, and everything was fine.I've been feeding her twice a day, and treats in between, and once in a while I will make my own beef liver treats. I give her the odd chicken, and beef as she told me, and she eats it no problem. I was giving soft cesar in morning, and at night I would give her dry, and soft cesar so she can get her dry. Now, I've been having a problem with her, I take her for a walk as soon as we get up, get home and give her the soft cesar, but she won't eat it now, she walks away from it, so for a few days I added hamburger meat to her food, and she would eat it, but this morning I gave her the soft with hamburger meat, and she won't eat it. I think I should try something else for her, but don't know what to choose, I've done some reading, and would like to try to give her home cooked food, but would have to talk to the one I fostered the dog too about it. But need some advice also, on what I should do? And if I give her home cooked meals, what shoudl I give her, and how much? Also, I've seen on here people say they give them pork???? Isn't pork bad for dogs? Can someone help me with perhaps menus, and how much to give her, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Lulubelle

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi LuLu,
If you're considering home "cooked" food, you might want to consider home-made "raw" food instead. Cooking meat makes it much less digestable to dogs. And if there are bones in it, cooking them will make them very dangerous to your dog. Raw meat, bones and organs are extremely digestable and healthy for dogs. I know it may go against your insticts to give raw meat to your dog, but miniature schnauzers and wild wolves are biologically the same species and have the same digestive systems.
I've been feeding raw to my dog for almost a year now, since she was 7 weeks old, and the health benefits are amazing.
Ground chicken, with a little bone and liver or kidneys mixed in is a great place to start. The same thing with turkey, beef or lamb is good for variety. If you can find green tripe, it is like yogurt for dogs, it's stinky to us, super yummy to them. Sardines (in water) and raw eggs are good too. Variety is important, 70% meat, 15% bone, 15 % organs (approx.), no salt, no grain, no cooking, green tripe once a week... those are the rules to follow.
A squirt of salmon oil on her breakfast will give her omega-3, and a 1/4 tsp. of kelp/alphalfa powder will provide the vitamins missing in a store bought diet. You can find them in a natural pet food store, or online.
Canned soft food and kibble have salt, preservatives, grain and rendered animal by-products. Who knows what they can do to you dog. If your dog is not eating it's regular food, switching to raw is a great option.

http://www.totallyrawdogfood.com/MealCalculator.aspx
Here is a raw food meal calculator to find out how much to feed your dog, this website also has very good information on natural dog nutrition.

http://www.buddiesnaturalpetfood.ca/RAW_INFO__july08.pdf
http://www.buddiesnaturalpetfood.ca/raw_info.html
This is my local raw pet food store, they also have great information on natural dog nutrition.

As you can tell, I am a huge supporter of raw food for pets, it just makes me so sad to see pets with cancer, liver problems, alergies and other health problems when there is real proof from pet owners and breeders in our own communities that raw diets really do help pets live longer, happier lives. I hope this helps you out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I feed my eldery sick dog cooked food and my younger but still old dog raw. Happy with both diets and would feed raw to a healthy dog. Either is far superior to kibble and canned dog food but many dogs do fine on kibble.

I learned a lot from this site.http://http://www.dogaware.com/ Scroll down and read the articles written for WDJ for a nice primer on feeding dogs. The owner of that site, Mary Straus, has co written a dog cookbook as well that might suit your situation. It is sold on Amazon and if you log on you can read quite a lot of the book.

Raw is easy - once I figured it out. I use the 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ ratio. Buy the meat and all, put a bowl on my scale with a bit of plastic inside, Add the boney meat, the organ and meat to dog's portion, wrap and freeze. Done for a month. No waste either. Nine year old Max did fine on kibble, better on cooked and is blooming on raw.

Cooking, use hamburger! No chopping. I use my food processor but still. Meat must be cooked and cooled. I can roast meat, chop and save in the freezer for later, still more work than cutting and weighing. I use this as a guideline for what I need to get into the food.http://http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309034965&page=44 and http://www.nutritiondata.com/ to see how I am doing. I suppose a healthy dog could just get the same as a raw fed dog minus the bone though. Boneless meat, organ meat, fish, egg and my dogs highly reccommend tripe as well. You definitely wouldn't cook the raw green tripe, it is also available canned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From reading your post, I didn't understand if you wanted advice on switching to a homemade diet or help with getting her to eat dog food.

It sounds to me like you are creating a finicky eater. Most likely, she didn't eat when you first got her because she was with new people, new home, new environment. She was stressed. Dogs won't eat when they are stressed. Adding a little something to the food is fine (wet food) as long as it is mixed in and just to get them eating again. When she decided she didn't like it anymore, and then saw that all she had to do was turn up her nose and you would provide a different food, that's when she trained you. At this rate, you will have to change up her food everyday or meal. The only way around it is to follow the "eat what I give you, or be hungry" attitude. Put down her food and give her 20-30 minutes to eat it. When the time is up, pick up the food and don't feed her again until the next meal. She will get hungry. Eventually she'll learn that if she doesn't eat when that bowl is on the floor, she's not going to get another chance, so she better eat whatever is provided and now. For some dogs, this may take a a day or two to realize this, others almost a week. Unless there is an underlying medical issue, she won't starve herself. She will eat when she gets hungry. This practice can be followed whether you feed dogfood, homemade, or raw diets.

Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Genuine Golden: I totally agree with you, she's been doing exactly what you said. I did want to feed her home made, but only if she stops eating completely. Now as far as the raw feeding, I don't think i'd feel comfortable giving my dog raw food. I've read up on it, and know it's safe, butdon't feel comfortable doing that. I will try that, and take it away when she doesnt eat, and go from there but if it takes a week or more, then I'll have to try something else as I don't want my dog to starve.
Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since i foster this dog, and she's planning on breeding her eventually, I had to talk to the one that owned Lulubelle regarding her eating habbits. She is wanting me to try the chicken and rice, and I know she'd like that, and I'd like to add some kibble in there. Anyone who would have a link / site to send me too regarding how much I should give her per day. I saw the link for calculator, but it's not for homecooking. Any help would be appreciated ;) I also make her liver treats for training, as i'm beginning to do obedience, etc. She weighed 17.4 when i got her, and she's now 18.4 and she wants her at 15lbs and no more, as she'll eventually get pregnant again. I also wanted to know why some give the fish oil? I have some salmon oil gel pills to give, but would need some info on them. Again, any help would be appreciated as i'm new to all this, and have only had her 4 months now.
Thanks in advance ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts