Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! So we recently rescued this little girl. The shelter said they believed she might be GSD mix. We are unsure and are looking for some opinion and advice as to what breed she might be. We have a bigger dog who is a Rottweiler Collie mix and just want to have an idea of her potential size and personality so we can plan accordingly. She's about 4 months old. Her ears are very mobile and seem to change every day. She has a little black tip on her very long tail. Her face gets a bit wrinkly when she makes certain faces!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Shelters will tend to call anything with a black mask a GSD mix. I don't see any GSD there, personally, though that is a cute, cute puppy!

If you allow dogs to breed willy nilly long enough, that's pretty much what you end up with- a sandy dog sometimes with a mask, sometimes with white markings, short fur, medium size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is absolutely true. When we rescued Monte (last picture on the right) they also called him a shepherd mix!

·
Registered
52 Posts
"shepherd mix" and "lab mix" seem to be catch-all descriptions at shelters. I'd just call that one adorable dog.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
As everyone said, a number of mixes look like this. My dog, shown in my avatar, looked like this, and we believe that he's a Lab/GSD. A Rhodesian ridgeback mix (if common in your area) can look something like that. So can a black mouthed cur mix. I think that the black rings around the eye, suggest a GSD mix.

Does she have webbed feet? Could suggest Lab or Golden. Will she drink water from a hose or faucet, OR does she hate water? My Lab mix with try to catch a glob of water that I toss at him. He dug in his water dish (many dogs do this), and he got very interested when I turned on the hose, when he was a very young puppy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Her feet are webbed and she LOVES water! The digging in the water dish is something we are trying to get a handle on now! She is a bit on the smaller side which makes me question what smaller mix she could have in there, approximate 20 lbs at 4 months. Your boy is beautiful!

·
Super Moderator
11,731 Posts
Looks a bit like my daughter's ambiguous shelter dog, Dante.

We have no idea what he is. I think he's he all-American feral-looking mutt. (He's a really good dog.)

And, in most cases, "lab-mix" is a reasonable guess. Most of the mixed breed dogs have at least some lab in them.

Labs get around a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts