Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I adopted a Treeing Walker Coonhound mix from a local shelter about two weeks ago. Her name is Daisy, she is about a year and a half old and she's the perfect dog! Aside from one or two incidents she has never really given us a problem.. Until yesterday! :/

She never has peed in the house and we considered her completely house trained. She sleeps in her crate but when we are out of the house we give her access to the kitchen. We left the house for about an hour last night and we came back to two pee puddles. She is normally lleft for at least 5 hours without a bathroom break during the week.

It was the weekend so we didn't necessarily follow the same schedule that we do during the week, can it be something as simple as that? What else could be the problem? Help!

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Could be a few things:

- check with your vet to r/o UTI
- change in routine may have caused some stress
- fluke - Our dog had an odd pee accident once when we went out. We realized that she had drunk a bunch of water before we left and she probably couldn't hold it longer.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It's definitely important to keep a new addition on a strict schedule at first. It took about 3 weeks for us to get our rescue on a schedule so he wouldn't have any accidents in the house during the day. Since then, we haven't had any issues at all. If it happens again, I would also have a urine sample tested at the vet's to make sure there is no UTI or bladder infection/crystals/stones etc.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
There may still be a new house learning curve at play. It wouldn't hurt to have a urine checked at the vet to rule out infection or crystals. It could have also been a fluke. My completely housebroken dog has had a few fluke accidents. If we don't take him out immediately before playing laser pointer, he gets so excited he pees. Also once he drank over 2 cups of water in one go (he's a small dog!) and just couldn't hold it, and we misread his signals because he had just gone out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts