Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my girlfriend and I have an 8 month old male corgi. Overall he has been a really good boy and training has been going well. The other day my girlfriend was petting him as usual and he suddenly growled and snapped at her hand. Luckily not hard enough to break skin but it was definitely aggressive. He then went right back to crawling in her lap and seemed to want to be pet more. This then happened again later in the day. We are not sure what to make of it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, he often cannot sit still unless in his crate. Even when he is clearly exhausted after a trip to the dog park he paces and moves around. If we put him in the crate he would fall asleep right away. It would be nice though if we could leave him out of the crate and he would just relax and sleep at our feet by the couch. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You can teach him to relax. I believe there is a method called "sit on the dog" that you could google. Puppies are like human babies, they can get over tired, but not want to go to sleep. Then when you force them to sleep (like putting him in the crate), they will fall asleep instantly. He should outgrow this.

As for the snapping it's really hard for anyone to help with that without seeing exactly what happened. Look up as much as you can on dog body language to try to determine what set him off. Other than that you could hire a qualified behaviourist.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
If he suddenly snapped while being pet, I'd wonder about whether something hurt him. It could be nothing - something as benign as being zapped with a static shock - but if it happened again I would schedule an appointment with my vet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts