Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am hoping that by joining this site, any users with personal experience in this area may be able to help me. With all of the do's and don'ts of breeder contact etiquette, I must admit I'm becoming slightly confused. I have written out a draft email which I hope to send out to one specific breeder when it is ready as she has drawn my attention but I fear with so many inquiries daily that I can only begin to imagine coupled with how careful (rightly so) and fussy that she is with re-homing her pups, I wish to make a good first impression and hope to god she gets back to me. If you have any advice, please reply to this thread :) I welcome any and all opinions - Thanks

·
Registered
878 Posts
When I was contacting breeders I phoned them rather than emailing, however I did always ask if it was a convenient time to talk or if there was a good time to call back.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
1) Be Sincere
2) Clearly state why you are interested in the breed
3) Clearly state why you are interested in this breeder in particular....
4) Briefly outline your dog experience. But do NOT over exaggerate. IF you have little be up front about it and rather place the emphasis on on your willingness to learn and put forth effort.
5) Be Honest
6) Do not write them a book and tell your complete life story on the first email.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so would the following be too long? this is just one of the many drafts that I have written:

My name is XXXX. I live in XXXXX with my partner and our two dogs. We have a Bichon Frise called Charlie and a Border collie called Sky. Both are adored and treasured family pets. My partner and I have fallen in love with the rough collie breed. We have been meticulously researching the rough collie breed for months as we are hoping to add another much loved family dog of this breed to our home in the future. After many months of research via the internet, books and other dog owners we decided to take the plunge and contact breeders. We came across your website and for us personally, you seemed like the ideal breeder with whom we would like to build a relationship with. It is of utmost importance to us that we can connect with and build on our future relationship with the breeder. We are looking for someone with whom we can build a natural and lasting relationship with that will hopefully last the lifetime of the dog who enjoys getting updates and pictures as well as willing to offer advice and guidance. I am aware that there are several health problems within the breed, some of the most concerning for me is the MDR1 gene, the problem that these beautiful dogs have with bloat, heart disease and epilepsy. I am aware that there are some DNA tests that can be done to determine if the parents are carriers. We noticed that you take care to test for XXXX and XXXX but we wondered if there was any other health testing that you take advantage of for your dogs.

Thank you for taking the time to read my email, I understand that you are a very busy person and I look forward to maybe hearing from you.
Sincerely,

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would say that it is somewhat long and it has some sentences that repeat the same concept. I would also say that for first contact not to add personal details as some breeders just scan e-mails first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So using JohnnyBandit's "template", maybe this is a bit better?

Hi, I am looking to form a relationship with a breeder who has caught my eye such as yourself. I am hoping to bring a much loved family pet into our home within the next couple of years and I wanted to connect with some of the breeders that stood out to me. I will be looking for a sable and white female rough collie as a companion. I am interested in you as I admire your beautiful dogs and like the way that you are very careful to pair the right owner with the right puppy to ensure a long and happy relationship as well as willing to keep in touch with the puppy after it has left for its new home. I am interested in the breed as I think they are exceptionally smart, beautiful and have a great temperament. I have found during my research that they tend to be a fairly healthy dog breed and are very family orientated which is something that I look for in a companion as it identifies with my own personal views.
I have had a few dog breeds throughout my life, which include 2 border collies, a bichon frise, and a Staffordshire terrier. We had a rough collie when I was just under two but sadly she passed and I do not remember her. Now that I live in my own house with my partner, we have our border collie and our bichon frise.
I am currently not looking for a puppy right now partly because I know that you have just had a beautiful litter and partly because I would like to spend a while longer double checking everything that I have read and heard as well as trying to meet a rough collie as I have yet to do this.
Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you in the future.
Sincerely,

Thanks for all of the replies by the way guys, I really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
As a breeder myself, I personally prefer email or speaking in person to the phone (I dislike phone calls honestly).

You should always tell a breeder about yourself first, your experience with dogs (if you have any) and your experience with the breed you're interested in (if you have any). I am not the type that believes you shouldn't inquire about the cost of a puppy, but you need to do so tactfully. If your breed comes in various colors and you have a preference, it is also ok to mention that, but temperament should be more important than color. If color is very important to you, you can mention that you are willing to wait for the right puppy in that color, but be aware you may have to wait longer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your personal thoughts Xeph, I appreciate your input especially as you have to deal with potential buyers personall. I don't wish to offend a potential breeder that I'm thinking of approaching hence why I am happy I have come here to ask for help with something that I do not know much about :)

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
This is how I would go...

Dear XXXX,

My name is XXXX. I live in XXXXX with my life partner and our two dogs. We currently have two dogs, a Bichon Frise and a Border Collie. We love them dearly and are hoping to add another dog to our home. After careful research and consideration we feel that a Rough Collie would be a great fit in our home and work well with our lifestyle. Through searching the internet and among the dog community, we came across your website. We Very much like what we see. Your dogs are beautiful, appear very well cared for and loved.

Our goal is to obtain a Rough Collie of our own. And more than that we want the right dog for us from the right breeder. A breeder that is both willing and encourages puppy buyers to maintain and keep a relationship with them. For questions, concerns, and just general updates on how the dog is doing and photos. We know that good breeders such as yourself put your heart and soul into your dogs. I am sure it must be a great feeling to see and hear that your puppies have grown into great dogs and are well loved and cared for.

We would like to know if there is a time that would be suitable to you, to further discuss the breed, your dogs, general health concerns within the breed and what we should look out for; as well as the possibility of obtaining a puppy from you in the future.

We understand you are very likely quite a busy person. IF you would be so kind as to agree to a more in depth discussion, we will do everything within our power to accommodate your schedule.

Thank you for taking the time to read our inquiry and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

XXXXX and XXXX

000-555-0000

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much for your help, I see how yours is much better than mine originally was and it flows much better :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
*add the first/ third sentence from the first one* Hi, I am looking to form a relationship with a breeder who has caught my eye such as yourself. I am hoping to bring a much loved family pet into our home within the next couple of years and I wanted to connect with some of the breeders that stood out to me. I will be looking for a sable and white female rough collie as a companion. I am interested in you as I admire your beautiful dogs and like the way that you are very careful to pair the right owner with the right puppy to ensure a long and happy relationship as well as willing to keep in touch with the puppy after it has left for its new home. I am interested in the breed as I think they are exceptionally smart, beautiful and have a great temperament. I have found during my research that they tend to be a fairly healthy dog breed and are very family orientated which is something that I look for in a companion as it identifies with my own personal views.
I have had a few dog breeds throughout my life, which include 2 border collies, a bichon frise, and a Staffordshire terrier. We had a rough collie when I was just under two but sadly she passed and I do not remember her. Now that I live in my own house with my partner, we have our border collie and our bichon frise.
I am currently not looking for a puppy right now partly because I know that you have just had a beautiful litter and partly because I would like to spend a while longer double checking everything that I have read and heard as well as trying to meet a rough collie as I have yet to do this.
Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you in the future.
Sincerely,

The bold parts great!
I do really like this one then the first

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
A few things...

I added "life" in front of partner.... It adds stability.... Breeders look for stable homes.

Based on what you gave...... And the fact that you seem to be looking at a rough collie... But already own a border collie. I did not feel (and do not know your history to do so) to go in depth on breed history.... As a quasi breeder.... What I would be looking for to catch my attention is what breeds you have experience with.... But this is good. You already have a border collie. Having owned a rough collie, been around a bunch and having been around more BCs than I have wanted to be... Whether a Rough Collie person is going to admit it or not.... The average BC is MORE of a challenge than the average Rough Collie.

If you emailed me and wanted to inquire about Collie and you had a Bichon and a Whippet, lets say.... I would go hmmm... Big jump here.... But you already have a BC. Personally I would have more questions for you.... But I have an application for potential puppy buyers and you were only sending me a letter of introduction....

Also in your letter.... You posted that you saw data on the testing they had listed on their site. But asked about other testing that seemed to be missing. I do not think an introduction letter is the place to do that.... Sort of like you are questioning if they are taking shortcuts.... A personal contact via the phone is a better discussion venue for that.

And if you really want to know, if you have the registered names of any of their dogs you can look up all testing on the OFA site.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Johnny's letter looks great. I'm probably guilty of too long a letter but I like breeders to know our situation & that we're serious. One breeder thanked me for all the info, saying "I usually get do you have puppies & how much".

Xeph, if I ever want a GSD, be prepared for me to call LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand, it has been a learning experience for me tonight, I don't believe the breeder I am looking at has an application for adoption; on her site it just says please email for inquiries about future litters. I admit we are very lucky with our border collie, she's extremely loving, friendly to everything and everyone and isn't hyperactive/hypersensitive in the slightest. She's as happy to be in the house as she is to be out walking somewhere with us love her :)

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I've gotten "Do you have puppies? How much?" Doesn't bother me like it bothers other people. I answer the question. If they don't respond again, no skin off my nose. If they do, then I start digging deeper to see if we are compatible to proceed with a sale.

I don't know why everybody gets so insulted over such questions. It takes 3 seconds to answer and why should my time (or theirs) be wasted if my dogs are out of their price range?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
JB's e-mail pretty much sums it up. I didn't really get into anything to do with the breeder themselves though. I just talked a little about myself, the research I've done on Aussies, what I was looking for in a pup (agility prospect), and how I wanted to know more about them and their dogs. It was all very short and left for a lot of questions.. but it gave off the obvious vibe that I knew quite a bit.

I think I still have a copy of the original e-mail I sent. I'll PM you if I find it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts