Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*please no negative comments on “designer breeds” – helpful advice ONLY*

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Newfoundland / Bernese Mountain Dog mixes? I love almost everything I hear about these two breeds separately and with the mix, I am hoping for a healthier dog that is slightly less hairy and slobbery than a pure newfie :)
Does anyone have this mix or have knowledge on them? If yes, can you confirm what I have been reading about the mix? I want to make sure I am a good match and can provide the best home.
I’m hoping the dog will have high enough energy level to enjoy hiking, swimming, canoeing, camping, but will also be laid back in the house and ok with down time. We are definitely an active family, but have many calm evenings. I have a 6 month old lab/golden mix and a 5 month old kitten, that I think the dog will get along with just fine. I read these dogs are extremely even tempered, eager to please, obedient (even if a little stubborn), and gentle.

I do have some concerns that I would like some feedback on from current owners. All of my concerns are on the newfie side of the mix... What is the shedding actually like? What is your grooming routine? Should I expect hair everywhere or can this be managed with weekly brushings? What about the slobber/drool? I read this can be a nightmare. Is this minimized with the mix breed? I’m not necessarily looking to walk around with a rag for the next 10 years, but don’t mind a little drool here and there.
How intolerant are they to heat? I live in Pittsburgh, so it’s mild to cold 8-9 months of the year, but summers can be stifling. We have A/C, but I certainly don’t want my dog to be miserable or uncomfortable. I read the newfies can be a watch dog. Does this translate into a lot of barking or any aggression towards strangers?

Please don’t think I’m being really picky, guys. I can handle some dirt, drool, and hair. I already have this with my current girl :) I just don’t want to get in over my head. I have always owned large dogs, but never one >100 lbs, so just doing my research!!

Another breed I’m considering is the golden retriever mixed with the bernese. Here, I would hope to avoid some hair, slobber, & heat intolerance. Does anyone have experience here?

Please pass along contact information if you happen to know reputable folks with either of these mixes!
I appreciate the feedback on as much as you have experience to comment on!!

(I also attached a picture of Zuzu my puppy and Batman my kitty)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
The unfortunate thing about mixes is that how they turn out is really unpredictable. They could be more like mom or dad or grandma or uncle, or anywhere in between, or something totally their own, etc.

So a lot of your questions... are really hard to respond to.

Also, it is incredibly difficult to find a reputable breeder of mixes. Especially with Newfs and Berners having so many potential health issues, I would tread with extreme caution. Just mixing them making them healthier, from what I understand, isn't actually a real thing that happens.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Generally curious, how would a mix of both of those breeds be any less hairy or slobbery? Neither of those breeds are dry mouthed and neither is short coated. Plus BMDs are slightly less healthy than Newfies are.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi ChaosIsAWeim- thanks for the reply. Like I mentioned, I am not 100% familiar with the breeds. I am only going off what I read. I read that the newfie has way more hair than the bernese and is more slobbery. I guess my comment came off that in a combo, they would be less of both. That would be nice, huh?? :) In reality, what I MEANT was that maybe a mix would be less hairy and wet mouthed than a pure newfie. Sorry for the confusion!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I wouldn't expect a puppy of that mix to be any less hairy or slobbery than either purebred, and I also wouldn't expect it to be healthier. You're going to have a tough time finding a breeder of that mix who health tests, and without those health tests it's definitely possible to get a mixed puppy who is less healthy than either purebred generally speaking.

I think your best bet is to find a purebred breeder of either breed who health tests, and go from there.

There's also the fact that you can't predict the product of a mix, so it could grow up to be totally the opposite of what you hope.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys- I appreciate the responses, but I think I need to clarify. The main purpose of the mix is not “hybrid vigor.” Please don’t give me advice on this heated topic.
I’m looking for feedback from people who actually have Bernese or Newfoundlands in their lives. To these people only (not those people making assumptions or reading into my words or offering advice that I didn’t ask for nor do I want), I would like to hear your stories and experiences. Please tell me about your experience with temperament, activity level, clean up (hair, slobber), longevity. If you read my initial post, you will see that I am wondering if others have experience with their berner/newfie doing the activities I listed and I have some questions on the potential drawbacks of the breeds. The purpose of my post is to seek out additional information that you can’t get on a breed write-up.

To all you dog forum negative nancy’s:
I know you can’t predict what you get. So don’t waste your time telling me this. I’m just looking for some anecdotal advice about berners and newfies so I can educate myself and hopefully make a good decision. I never post to forums, but I thought I would give it a try in an effort to add to the research I have already done. I guess I was hoping that I might get constructive advice, but it seems like people can’t even understand my question or just have to speak up with something negative & unrelated. It’s really a shame. This could be a great avenue for sharing information...

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
There are numerous newfies and berners in my training classes and at the dog park where I work. I also dog sit for one.

Berners are absolutely not any less furry or drooly than newfies. I would not wish either's drool or hair on anyone.

And I have a "German Shedder" so you can imagine how much hair I already put up with. I wouldn't put up with a lab or another GSD shedding, let alone a Newf/Bern! :O

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Nobody is trying to be negative, we're just trying to give you constructive advice from people who know a bit about breeding. We're just trying to share information that you may not have considered, or that others reading your post may not have considered. It's a public forum, so you can't require that everyone posting be an owner of one of those breeds. Personally, I've known and been around dogs of both breeds, though I haven't owned either. Neither are very long lived and can have a number of health problems, which means it's super important to go to a breeder who health tests and knows the health of their lines (whether they're breeding purebred or mixed dogs). And from experience, both drool and shed quite a bit, so I don't think a mix would be noticeably less than either parent.

We're really just trying to be helpful and I think you're taking these very tame responses the wrong way.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I have no problem with mutts, I have one myself. Thing is, you're asking for information about how a mutt will turn out, and even if someone here had a newf/berner mix, that is in no way predictive of what your experience with that mix might be. A "breeder" who is selling these mutts without the health testing people mentioned is a backyard breeder, which is terrible to support. You'd be better off finding a newf mix from a newf rescue or shelter where at least you're not paying out the nose to support unethical breeding, and you're providing a home for a dog who needs one. People here are dog lovers, and breeding without concern for the animal's health is troubling. It isn't a matter of "hybrid vigor." You're choosing two breeds with health issues. Both parent would need extensive testing to make sure they were just producing puppies of average health. It sounds like you care a lot for your pets, and I imagine you'd be devastated if you purchased a pup only to find it had an avoidable genetic condition and you lose it at a young age. No one wants that to happen to you, or to have a dog suffer because whoever bred them didn't take enough care to ensure genetic soundness.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, DJEtzel, for the post! I fostered a german shepard for awhile and I had what looked like tumbleweeds of hair rolling down my hallways :) My lab/golden mix sheds a lot, but not quite that much, yet. She is only 6 months, so I suspect more to come.
Do you have any information to share on the dog you sit? Not regarding the hair or drool, since you have confirmed my thoughts on this, but rather on the personality & temperament. Thanks again!

·
Banned
268 Posts
I'm pretty sure my dog is a mix of Bernese mountain dog, German Shepherd and possibly border collie (he's a rescue so it's really unknown but the bernese part is almost certain) and boy does he drool and shed. He only has the one breed in him of the two you thought would make the mix better drool and shedding-wise and well that's not the case for me. If I am with him the whole day I can't really go out at night with the same pants I was wearing because they will be full of drool. And as for the shedding, I know that some of his other breeds might make this worse than a purebred Bernese but it's really kinda terrible. I vacuum and the next day the floor is full of fur.

I don't know anything about newfies though but I wouldn't expect it to be better on these 2 aspects at least.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nobody is trying to be negative, we're just trying to give you constructive advice from people who know a bit about breeding. We're just trying to share information that you may not have considered, or that others reading your post may not have considered. It's a public forum, so you can't require that everyone posting be an owner of one of those breeds. Personally, I've known and been around dogs of both breeds, though I haven't owned either. Neither are very long lived and can have a number of health problems, which means it's super important to go to a breeder who health tests and knows the health of their lines (whether they're breeding purebred or mixed dogs). And from experience, both drool and shed quite a bit, so I don't think a mix would be noticeably less than either parent.

We're really just trying to be helpful and I think you're taking these very tame responses the wrong way.
Hi elrohwen- Again, maybe my lack of experience in forums is at fault here. I was trying to steer conversation towards temperament & doggie upkeep, and not on the health of a mix, which I don't even believe in. I probably should have also mentioned that I am in conversations with a couple breeders (one in MI and one in VA) that use AKC registered dogs only and the puppies come with health guarantee. I am as confident as one can be in the these breeders I have found. Furthermore, I'm not opposed to rescues either. My current golden/lab puppy is a rescue and she is an angel. I understand how important it is to know the health lines when going through breeders. This is not really "advice" that is beneficial to me. There aren't many bernese or newfies in my area, so I was hoping to pull on people who may own one or know one to offer me more about the breed and not the value of doing breeder research.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Thanks, DJEtzel, for the post! I fostered a german shepard for awhile and I had what looked like tumbleweeds of hair rolling down my hallways :) My lab/golden mix sheds a lot, but not quite that much, yet. She is only 6 months, so I suspect more to come.
Do you have any information to share on the dog you sit? Not regarding the hair or drool, since you have confirmed my thoughts on this, but rather on the personality & temperament. Thanks again!
Yes, my GSD has the tumbleweed hair, and the berner I sit for does as well, just much more and much larger "weeds" around the house. And the drool. -_-

They are great, well behaved family type dogs from what I've seen. None of them that I know have any issues with people, dogs, or cats. They're pretty relaxed dogs, good at offleash play as well.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Just hope you go to a shelter or a rescue because no good breeder is breeding these mixes.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
A health guarantee isn't the same as health testing. . .a guarantee just means they'll replace the puppy if it has a problem. And once you're attached you might not want a replacement :/. Testing the parent dogs at least reduces the chances of the problems happening so you can avoid cashing in on the guarantee.

I've only know one Newf and one Berner. . .but yes, drool and fur :p. Lots of it. Nice dogs though.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Actually Newfies have longer life spans then Bernese mountain dogs. Mine was a Newfie mix or a off bred Newfie,either way he didn't drool much. That's because his head was shaped more like a retriever,longer muzzle,tight lips. So a mix would be a little less likely less drooly,but its hard to completely say. Some Bernese mountain dogs are not very drooly and others are. Mixes can still have and often do have as much fur as the original breed. Your mix would have as long as fur as either dog I would think. It likely will not be high energy,well at least after the first couple years would be lower. I don't see why they couldn't hike though,Newfs tend to love water also,but sense its a mix its still not for certain.

Life span averages(including desease)http://users.pullman.com/lostriver/breeddata.htm#Mastiff

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I have a Bernese cross, I saw the mother so know she was a Bernese and the father was probably the neighbors Lab x Border collie. I did not pay anything for her. She does not drool at all but sure is hairy! She sheds a lot, has a great temperament, really smart. She is ten years old now and not very sound. Her health has been good but she has a lot of arthritis. I had her spayed at six months which was probably a little early.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have a female Berner who is just shy of 2. She is my first Berner. My previous dogs were Dobes and a Min Pin. She sheds alot daily and twice a year she blows her coat (pretty much it is vacuuming three times a day for three weeks). More mouthy as a puppy than the other puppies i had, but she grew out of it.

She is very friendly and has bursts of hyperactivity, but for the most part is a friendly, calm dog who settles nicely in the house. She went thru a year and a half of obedience and does awesome off leash with her recall, but will not lay down on command with out a little coaxing, because she is stubborn like that, lol.

She isn't a big drooler, but she does drool if she is about get a treat or be fed.

We paid a pretty penny for her. She comes from healthier lines with many long lived dogs, ( over 10 years old) and both of her parents are well titled. My biggest concern with a Berner mix would be where the breeding Berner came from. Most of the breeders I had contact with are very particular about who gets a puppy with breeding rights (I have no plans on breeding my dog).

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
We dogsit for a family who has had two berners over a 10+ year period, and I suspect they will be up for a third dog soon. We came into their lives as their first berner was turning 10 and she passed away within that year. The second and current berner is now 11 and that is at the extreme end of the lifespan scale for a berner, almost unheard of. She seems healthy, slower than her younger days, but still healthy enough to come to our house for a long weekend each month when her family travels. She has been a joy to have around the house. We just love her. She loves to be a lap dog with us in the recliner and plays easily and carefully around our toy dogs, very gentle with children though she could easily and unintentionally knock over a 5 year old child. Being a female I'd guess she is a bit smaller than a male and I would think around 70 pounds. We put her water bowl (a very large one!) on a throw rug and she makes use of the entire rug for slop control. The family is nice enough to have her groomed before bringing her when she is blowing her coat. Even still, we brush her daily (at least a 30 minute chore) and you can still pull clumps from her and fur bunnies abound! The family gets all their berners from the same breeder, again as mentioned in a post above, because the breeder does a great job of health testing and is very selective about puppy placement. The breeder also keeps the pups until they are 4-5 months old. In return for getting a slightly older puppy the breeder does quite a bit of training with the pups before they are delivered, never shipped. The current berner spent her first weekend with us at 5 months old and she slept through the night without needing to potty, was completely crate trained with command, knew all of her basic obedience stuff, and walked nicely on a leash.

We also have friends with newfies. They seem a bit more slobbery than the berner, at least to me, but that's really relative because slobbery is slobbery and you will become friends with a mop in any case. We have hard floors throughout the house and I can't imagine having wither breed with a carpeted home.

Both the newfie owners and the berner owners purchased their dogs on strict spay/neuter contracts. I have seen the pedigrees of their dogs (provided by the breeders) and everything is above board with health certs, AKC registry, finished champions in every generation, and careful breeding choices. I suspect the owners have paid a lot for these dogs but they are rewarded with fewer vet bills and longer lives of their dogs.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Comet, I have to say I'm a little confused with your question and your responses to other posters. I am reading that you are asking about a specific mix - Newfoundland x Bernese which is pretty specific vs. a mix with either breed. The other posters are giving information to try and help you but you seem to want to only hear positives of this type of mutt.

I have nothing to add to the conversation other then you say your talking to two breeders but the breeders are breeding mutts ... I personally would be concerned about buying a puppy from someone who breeds mutts on purpose and probably will pay a lot for this puppy. An AKC Newfoundland x with a AKC Bernese = MUTT! This is true of Labradoodles, Puggles and any other mutt that people pay big money for. As was said, you may run into problems as the dog ages because of inherent breed problems but you seem not to want to hear that.

Honestly, I have no clue why you would come on, ask for advice and get upset that people are giving you sound advice ... even if it's not what you want to hear.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts