Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is such a dreadful subject, but it is driving us crazy. Our male puggle's anal glands leak frequently. It is a horrible smell and he seems really bothered by it. He leaks on the one chair he is allowed on and our bed and this has to stop!

I've tried expressing them myself and nothing comes out. I also take him to the groomer's to be expressed. Does anyone else have this problem? None of my friends have had a problem with their dogs. Could the glands be infected or do some dogs just leak more than others?

Help!

·
Registered
968 Posts
I suggest trying to take him to the vet to get them expressed. It is my understanding that the groomer tries to express them from the outside, which I'm sure is what you did too. But the vet expresses them from the inside. My dog's can only be expressed from the inside so the vet has to do it. The groomer can't ever seem to get anything out but when I take him to the vet, the vet gets a crap load out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barkley went to the vet today. His glands were full, which the vet was able to empty and also infected. He is on meds and goes back in two weeks. From now on, I will take him to the vet right away when this happens. It's so hard to be a first-time dog owner!! They should come with an instruction manual.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that they were infected, but I'm glad that you were able to get it taken care of at the vet.

I have a friend that has to take her beagle in every 2 weeks. I usually have to take my dog in like every 3 months. It just depends on the dog but as soon as my dogs glands start leaking again, if it's before the 3 month mark, I take him in right away.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Wierd - my daughter (a groomer) & I were JUST talking about this very thing a few minutes ago!
She's always expressed my dogs anal glands for me & I've never had any problems. I hadn't realized until this morning that the vet does it from inside the anus & basically milks them.
I'm glad that Barley's glands are taken care of now, & hopefully the leaking wont be a further problem. That leaking would be an awful mess I'm sure!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the advice. Barkley is feeling much better and I am much happier now! From now on, Barkley is going to the vet at the first sign of leakage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts