Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone could help me out here...My german shepherd puppy just turned 5 months old. She lives with me and my boyfriend and was fine until about a month ago. We were at the dog park and this lady walked past to get her dog, and my pup jumped up and nipped her hand.she was okay, but it took me off guard, because she had never shown aggressivness before. when my boyfriend was alone with her, him and even his cousin would play with her in the yard & she was fine and really liked them just as well as she did me. In the past few weeks, whenever im around my boyfriend, she wont come near him and growls, but alone with him she was fine? Yesterday night, he let her out to use the bathroom. He was trying to get her back into the house ( which really doesnt enjoy and runs because she LOVES being outside ) so he was calling her name with no avail so he went to pick her up ( like he usually does ) and out of nowhere grabbed onto his wrist and arm and wouldnt let go, needless to say she hurt his hand and arm.We've taken her to obedience school and in public almost every single day to socialize her .I have owned many dogs, from chihuahuas to border collies to pitbulls, and they've never suddenly did a 360 like this, so im not sure what to do? I LOVE my dog, she is extrememly loving and loyal, but im so worried.shes UTD on all her shots and just got back from the vet at the beginning of Feb and everything was in great condition! PLEASE and advice or personal experiences would be so helpful!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
It sounds like she might be going through a fear phase, try to take everything slow and not push her past her limits.

Try not to expose her to anything that may frighten her, traffic, new people, new dogs, etc..

If she becomes afraid of something, don't force her to go up to it, just reassure her, maybe laugh a little, and walk around it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
you need to build a strong bond with her. both of you train the dog by yourselves and make this a rule your puppy should enjoy more than you when you train her and training sessions shouldn't have negative enforcements at all! the bond between you and your dog should be bound by joy. groom her daily twice (even if it is not necessary for her coat, it is necessary for the bond between you two). don't worry.. if you work on it, it'll diminish as you move forth..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my puppy is my best friend! she is very loyal to me, we are inseperable. my boyfriend works nights, so he sleeps all day, and barely has contact with the dog. He isnt too fond of them anyways. She loved him before this incident, which is why im confused. i brush her every other day [ which she loves :) ]
and we hike about 3 to 4 miles a day and train twice a week and while as we are out hiking, and she LOVES going to our training sessions...i guess this is why im so confused

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definately could agree that a protective nature falls over her when he is around...by resource you mean?

·
Registered
22 Posts
see, my opinion is as follows.

ask your boy friend to interact with the dog and let there be some trust and bond between them. and sternly stop her when she does something unacceptable! and praise her when she is alright.. how frequent is her aggression? tell us more about this..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
she has always been very territorial, and barks at anyone or anything that gets near the yard or house. the agression just started really when she was about 3 and a half months old...she would growl at people but never snap. then after she nipped at the first lady, she became more and more wary of others, i noticed ( i really didnt start paying close attention until the first incident) but then the last nip, was no nip, it was several bites in a very aggressive way, which left my boyfriends hand with bleeding puncture wounds...this is when i decided it was pretty out of control, because she used to like him so much...

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It should not be her territory to defend. When you allow that to happen, she gets to make the rules and some of those 'rules' are not going to be pleasant for others.
Either way (if you really want her to protect the territory or not) requires training and I'm not sure what you want as you said she's always been territorial and it has been allowed.

·
Registered
962 Posts
You still have a juvenile dog here, sudden changes at that age is not abnormal. You said you dog went to obedience training, how long was the program and did your dog finish the complete coarse?

My female puppy attacked me when I did the same thing trying to get her back in the house after a pep & poop session. She drew alot of blood and most of it went on her. But that was just a puppy testing the waters and it only happened that one time and I let her know it was a bad thing to do.

I think you may have the makings of a marveluos ( and much sought after)guard dog!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
most of the dogs on our property are there for two reasons

#1. our companions, walking partners or any other sort of activity they can participate in...

#2. to guard our property

Yes, i do want my dog to let me know when someone is in the yard, or near the yard, and they should be able to defend it if needed.

The problem comes in hand when the other members of the household are getting bitten, when before they were just fine.

I believe it has nothing to do with her thinking she is the "alpha female". no, we let our dogs know whos boss from the beginning. i feel like this is a different issue than ive ever delt with before. i know when a dog is trying to test the boundaries, (ie. one of our pits, when first arrived, would stare you down and growl, and sometimes lunge out to grab a hold of you ) and they have been quickly corrected and turn into very obedient dogs.

The real question i want to know is, why is my dog suddenly becoming aggressive with my boyfriend and his cousin, who just weeks ago she played fetch with all day. He definately let her know that was wrong when she bit him, but the question is why.

oh and bobSD, you mentioned the training...i enrolled her in puppy class which is once a week for a month ( I had to do this because she was under 4 months) and yes, she was an incredible dog, passed very easily ( she is SO smart) we are attending the adult obedience class which is twice a week for six weeks, so we will see if her behaviour will be good or if she will try to act out around all the other people and dogs :) thank you for your comments and advice:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts