Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Help with aggressive dog!

853 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  WesselGordon 
#1 ·
Hi All, new to the site so hope I have posted in the right section.

My dog (Pomeranian x Cav) nearly 6 years old. I’m having some severe issues with him, specifically aggression issues that I am at a loss with.

Some history, I bought him as a pup with my now ex, we split just over 2 years ago. (I’m adding this as it may have something to do with the aggression) just moved into a new place prior to our split, I stayed, ex left. Approximately 4 months after the split was the first time any aggression was shown by him.

I was leaving to go to Europe, and I had friends and family over (including the ex who was taking him while I was away) we were walking through the hallway where his bed and food and toys resided to be taken. He has gone for my female cousin’s foot, without warning and drew blood.

Nothing really happened thereafter until a few months later, he started trying to attack a male friend (always going for the feet) He was fine with most others, and would only do this to select people.

My now partner (we do not live together) has had some struggles with him attacking feet, he can be sitting on the other side of the room and a movement in his feet will cause him to attack. It was at a point I had to leash him to stay in his bed on the other side of the room for periods of time.

I called in a dog trainer, things went amazing thereafter, we discussed the issues, and he even demonstrated them to the trainer (which is what we needed). The training was solely focused around control.

My partner could now pat him, play with him, rub his stomach, no concern for his feet, and they were getting along great. Until one morning he has decided to go for him while he was rubbing his stomach. It’s been an uphill battle ever since.

He doesn’t pat him unless he asks him to jump on his leg, he will not rub his stomach, they will go for walks and he can even pick him up, but he still won’t pat him or rub his stomach in fear he will attack. He still randomly will go for his feet.
There would be issues with others however I don’t have many people over for this reason.

It may be beneficial to add that he will attack anyone if he is in his bed and someone tries to go near him, unless it’s me.

The trainer has told me to keep persevering with training and we also tried him on Prozac but the side effects were too severe. I am really losing hope and at a loss, I don’t know why he does this or where the aggression is stemming from as it has become so sporadic as at first we thought it was protection, as he would sit between me and others and if they came near he would attack along with the feet randomly, but now it’s just completely baffling.

Any suggestions or advice? This little guy is my world and I want both of us to be happy.

See less See more
#4 ·
I haven't had him checked for his thyroid or any bloods, i have been to the vet multiple times during all of this and not once have they suggested it be someone health related. He is due for his annual checkup soon so will speak to them about this then.

With training, i probably am somewhat lenient i.e. letting him jump on the couch once in a while within permission but that's about it.

#5 ·
Vet's don't always know the entire history of your dog. They may not realize how quickly this behavior change took place, and they may not think to test for certain illnesses if the dog isn't displaying certain symptoms. It never hurts to ask for them to perform those tests, though.

#6 ·
Just a thought.. when a dog rolls over on its back for belly rubs the dog is in an extremely submissive posture. I am wondering if the dog rolls over voluntarily and if what you are seeing is submission and not a request for belly rubs. If that is the case, the dog is in complete submission and may now be defensive (and that is why he bites). I would say if the dog is on his back voluntarily do not touch him.. redirect to food or a toy and get him out of that position and change his mind (refocus on something else like toy or food).

The rest I do not know (feet biting) etc. I cannot see the dog.

#7 ·
As a previous poster suggested: have him thoroughly vet checked and by that I mean a complete physical.

One thing I didn't read in your post is if the dog is still being trained by a trainer. Maybe a reputable dog behaviorist is an option if the issue continue even with regular training.

Of course that's only an option if the vet finds nothing wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.