Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.. I have a 3 year old LH weimaraner. She is a great dog except she still has accidents in the house but only at night. The problem is that she has NEVER whined, even when she was a puppy. My husband and I don't know how to get her to let us know she has to go out at night. Our other dog will bark if she needs out but the 3 year old is not a vocal dog. She paces the house and if we don't wake up to that she goes on the floor. We have tried using a bell on the door but that doesn't wake us up either.. I am against kenneling her again at this age so any other tips would be great!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Has she had a thorough vet check since this started, including urinalysis to check for a UTI? If she is spayed, are you sure it's not a bit of incontinence?

If you don't want to kennel her, then setting your alarm to take her out a couple of times during the night is probably your best option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, she has had a thorough vet check. It is not a UTI.. she does have a bit of incontinence when she is sleeping really hard but I find that on the blankets she is sleeping on. I know she tries to let us know by running into our room and back out to the front door. The reason I haven't tried an alarm is because I don't want it to become a habit/routine to go out at night because 98% of the nights she makes it through :(

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Yeah, she has had a thorough vet check. It is not a UTI.. she does have a bit of incontinence when she is sleeping really hard but I find that on the blankets she is sleeping on. I know she tries to let us know by running into our room and back out to the front door. The reason I haven't tried an alarm is because I don't want it to become a habit/routine to go out at night because 98% of the nights she makes it through :(
If MOST nights she is fine and veterinary issues have been ruled out, then I suggest keeping a detailed diary of her habits to see if there is a correlation between what is eaten, drank or activities during the day for the nights that she does have an accident. I would log-- meal times and amounts, water amounts drank (this can be hard with two dogs though), last time of the evening water was drank, lights out time, wake up time, estimate of activity during the day, indoor and outdoor temperature, day of the week, and if you get up during the night and there is an accident or not an accident then a guess as to the time it occurred.

Like humans, bladder activity tends to slow down a lot during sleep and will speed back up once awake and active. If sleeping soundly, a full bladder might not wake a dog (or human) but once awoken can be an urgent matter.

You may find that she is, for example, getting awoken by an early morning garbage truck or neighbor's vehicle and needing to go right away upon waking. You might find that it happens on a night the humans go to bed an hour earlier because they have some morning appointment each week. Even a simple miscommunication on who let the dogs out at night leading to one person thinking the other had let them out and the dog not getting a before bed potty break every now and then.

·
Banned
625 Posts
A couple of tips that may help.

1.) suspend the water about 2 hours before bed, then return the water in the morning.
2.) clean up with water and white vinegar solution, about 4:1 (4 parts water). Then let dry. The vinegar will neutralize the urine smell.

Place a bell on her collar. When she is up pacing about....the bell should wake you for a trip outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts