Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I love, love love dogs! All kinds of dogs, big ones, small ones, pure breeds, mutts, all of them.

So, whenever people are in a pinch with their pets, guess who they call! Yep, and I don't really know how to use the word "no", I just can never seem to get it out of my mouth. Which most of the time I reall y don't mind keeping peoples dogs or taking them until I can find them a new home. I mean really I think that is what I was born for and that is why I have a love for it (either that or I have some brain damage, not really sure).However, this time I may have taken on more than I can handle.

Long story short, a dear friend of ours has cancer and the local doctors can't help him any longer so he and his wife were sent to Texas. Their 3 children and puppy were left here with his mother. So I got a call that the puppy was more than grandma could deal with and she is so dear to this family, could I please help. Of coarse I didn't hesitate to offer to go and get this sweet little puppy and keep her for as long as they needed me to. I have lots of experience with dogs, this would be no trouble at all, right?

So, I go the next morning and get this cute little 4 or 5 month old rat terrier (I think), who pees all over herself and the floor the minute I speak to her. I get her home and find out she does this eveytime anyone speaks to her, and everytime my dog gets near her. She isn't house broken at all, she actually prefers going in the house vs. outside. She screams and begs everytime she sees any of us eating, and she attacks my Standard Poodle everytime my poodle tries to eat, even if she is already eating.

I got her a create and I am trying to get her use to it, but this has turned into a task. No one in our house has slept in days (due to her very loud crying at night, that neve ends) and I don't know what to do at this point. As you can guess, my s/o is ill and I think he is considering making me get some mental help to deal with my animal issues:(

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
This is a situation where you're far better of just managing the situation instead of trying to do all the training that should have been done.
Feed separately. Use the crate but, try not to isolate her in a room all by herself.
For the submissive urination, don't stare at her, bend over her or approach her head on. Turn slightly away from her when you talk to her and use a soft, almost whisper, happy tone.
As for the potty in the house...it's your house...your rules.....she can make a mess of it pretty quick. That's the only thing I would tackle as far as training.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As for the potty in the house...it's your house...your rules.....she can make a mess of it pretty quick. That's the only thing I would tackle as far as training.
One good thing is that I do have hard wood floors through out our house so at least it is easy to clean after her.

She did much better last night :)!! She actually slept, quietly from about 11:30 until 6 this morning, so I am feeling much better about this puppy now. The only thing about not doing any training that concerns me is the fact that I don't know how long I am going to have this puppy. It may be 2-3 weeks or 2-3 months.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
When I said training I meant I wouldn't try to cure all the behaviors of barking, begging, biting your other dog or taking on the job of improving her socialization skills.
Those are all long and involved processes. Obviously, you have to do what is neccesary to make her stay with you as calm as possible for everyone concerned. It's just easier to manage the temporary situation than to do all the necessary training.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are right! I am going to deal with what I have to deal with and leave the rest to her owners when they return. I don't think that some of the things i see as issues are issues to them, like the begging. I can't stand to see a dog beg so I have never fed any of my dogs from my plate. I guess that is a personal thing.

I think too, that given the fact that this dog's owner has been very sick since they have had her she really hasn't received much attention or training. But I guess cancer is a good excuse, if there is one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts