Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month I have to be out of town for several days and cant take Lucifer with me. The little ones, sophie and guapo, I can take with me but I will be staying with friends/family and both have big dogs that are agressive to strange large dogs.I have talked to several people about boarding or house sitting and now I am thoroughly confused!! so any help with guidlines I should be going by pleaseeeee HELP!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I'm happy with any place that won't kill my dogs, LOL. As long as they're safe when I get back, I don't care about walks or playtime or treats or anything. So I board them at my vet's office. If it's important to you that your dog get walks or playtime or anything else, call and ask about that. You can Google the name of the kennel to see if any dishonorable mentions come up.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Odiesmom,

I am a kennel owner but this is not biased advice, seriously. Unless the dog sitter is going to be there 24/7, your pup will be better off in a good kennel than left to his own devices for hours at a time.

When you look for a kennel, use your nose and your ears. All kennels will have a smell of sorts but if it is strong and sour, walk away. A clean well kept kennel has less infections being spread around and shows signs of excellent overall management.

If dogs are allowed to eyeball each other then the softer dog gets stressed and will bark. If dogs going to the exercise yard are walked past dogs behind mesh fenceing, the caged dogs will generally fire up.

Ask for an appointment to view the kennels and check if dogs can eyeball each other across an isle, or are walked past caged dogs to get to exercise yards.

When you arrive listen if there is any continuous barking. If you do not hear any , or minimal barking, and the smell is good, then you look into the experience of management and staff.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
depends on what you want in a kennel, cleanliness and stress managment are probably the biggest "general" things. any other factors depend on what you are looking for lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check yelp.com for reviews on different kennels. There is no one perfect kennel for everyone. Just pick one that has the things you want most.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Nev Allen got it right. I used to work at two kennels and yes, go to see the kennel where you could put your dogs. What I would look for is basically everything. How do the kennels look? Granted you could come at a time where they could be finished cleaning, but you still want to make sure it looks spick and span. Are they not being overrun by dogs? I worked in one kennel where some dogs would be housed in crates for their duration of the vacation which was wrong to me, they should be in a nice sized run.

Make sure the dogs can't get to each other in their runs. Some are fenced outside, while others have brick between them. Find out if they really play with the pooch, find out if they supply water all the time, make sure they put a leash on your dog when playing outside, make sure the employees follow their employers rules (I knew a few who would break them). There should be adequate space for the dogs in the kennel, small or large breed. Do they supply blankets at night? Do they give the dog your toys you bought for them? When you go to see the play yards outside, make sure the gates shut all the way. Not to alarm you, but you do want to make sure all is safe! Any question that comes to mind look for as you pass the kennels.

Some do house dog aggressive breeds (that are either aggressive to humans they don't know or to other dogs), make sure they can't get to your dog or are labeled. Most dogs will have labels to them telling the employee what's what, their name, etc. Labeling the dog helps a lot!

Make sure, if your dog is allowed, that we can give them treats. Some aren't allowed, make sure they know this! Does your dog require medication? If so, label the bottle in huge letters so they know who to give it to! Some are allowed treats with their medication, are yours? I'm not asking you these questions, but anything you can tell them about your dog, do so!! I don't know how many times I would see what was on the label in front of the dog and it would help me.

You may also want to find out about the price. Some kennels up the price during summer time, so that could really limit what you wanted for your dog. Most play times last 10min, unless you schedule your dog for three play times. They also can groom your dog, so you may want to check out if the groomer is good or not. Just basically scan for anything and everything.

I worked at two like I said and I saw both pros/cons for the both of them. Some actually will check your dog to see if they're okay or if they spot something that you didn't. Look everywhere, smell anything you can, and ask tons of questions! If they're good, they won't mind you bombarding them with questions. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
that reminds, me, if you are going to ask how many dogs they can take, also check how many employee's they have! do not assume any kennel is the same as any other you have checked out! I am not a fan of being yelled at for taking 160 dogs just because peoeple assume that we only have 2-4 employee's(we have over 30) lol

take a tour and dont be afraid to ask questions, but dont treat the employee like a criminal. I love giving tours and I want people to ask me questions aecause I dont always remeber every detail when I am giving a tour. however, dont grill the employee like a criminal! asking questions is good, repeating the same questions in different forms over and over and over and over again hoping to catch them in a lie is irritating and will only earn you the "difficult" label, whcih will affect your dogs stay. for example the kennel I work at is social, the lets get to play in small groups(or alone at your request) if you get a diffuclt label, your dog will not being leaving its run, because you are the type likley to throw a lawsuit at us if your dog steps on a pebble.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK I don't know whether to laugh or get pissed off at this one kennel. I called and started asking her questions and as soon as I mentioned my dogs name, Lucifer, she informed me she would NOT take a dog with such a horrid name!! I guess I will just laugh it off. Actually the name Lucifer means " bearer or bringer of the light ". Well scratch that one off my list ! I am now probably taking him with me to Wasilla where I used to live and I have a friend there with a kennel I feel comfortable with ( and its free !!) NOt sure why I didnt think of it before she called me today and mentioned it to me. Actually how we met is a funny story.... right after we moved to Alaska we decided to take the kids on a tour of this sled dog kennel, Pletner Kennels, near our house. After touring the kennel and falling in love with the puppies we went to leave and our truck wouldnt start. The kids and I played with the pups while hubby and a couple guys from the kennel worked on the truck. Well by the time they got the truck fixed we had a new 8 week old alaskan husky puppy and a great new friend in Linda Pletner. Later she even hired my kids to help around the kennel. She has run at least 10 iditarod races and helps to train young kids wanting to get started in dog racing.There is a documentary mostly about her and the iditarod that was done several years ago , sorry I can't remember the name .

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
OK I don't know whether to laugh or get pissed off at this one kennel. I called and started asking her questions and as soon as I mentioned my dogs name, Lucifer, she informed me she would NOT take a dog with such a horrid name!!
lol ya I dont know if thats horrable or hilarious! one of our all time fav. dogs that boards with us is named Killer, wonder what she would do with that one? lol

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
We're renting a beach house right now in Florida, and we're not allowed to have our dogs here - boo! We were told this AFTER we rented it - the ad said small dogs allowed for a fee... the manager told us that the owner changed the rule! :-(. Maddie's in a kennel where we're vacationing that has concrete runs of a good size with an opening to go out into a small private fenced area overlooking a pond! She gets 4 potty walks a day, and she can have any and all of her own things in the kennel (some don't allow that), including her toys and bed. Her medications/supplements are being administered at no additional charge (many places charge extra for this). For an extra fee, I could get extra walks, play time, a bath (which I chose, so she'd smell good on the drive home!), and treats. I chose to put her here for the week, even though it's more expensive than my vet, b/c she's not in a small wire cage like she would be at the vet's office. I wouldn't mind the vet's office for a short weekend stay, but a whole week is a long time to be in a wire cage!

·
Registered
109 Posts
We're renting a beach house right now in Florida, and we're not allowed to have our dogs here - boo! We were told this AFTER we rented it - the ad said small dogs allowed for a fee... the manager told us that the owner changed the rule! :-(. Maddie's in a kennel where we're vacationing that has concrete runs of a good size with an opening to go out into a small private fenced area overlooking a pond! She gets 4 potty walks a day, and she can have any and all of her own things in the kennel (some don't allow that), including her toys and bed. Her medications/supplements are being administered at no additional charge (many places charge extra for this). For an extra fee, I could get extra walks, play time, a bath (which I chose, so she'd smell good on the drive home!), and treats. I chose to put her here for the week, even though it's more expensive than my vet, b/c she's not in a small wire cage like she would be at the vet's office. I wouldn't mind the vet's office for a short weekend stay, but a whole week is a long time to be in a wire cage!
Before I found my amazing sitter, I would do this. If I was only going to be gone for a night or two I would board with my vet. They didn't stay in cages but small runs. If I was going to be gone a long time I opted for the boarding facility near me. They have rooms with windows and doors some had tvs.

A few years back I was home visiting my mom and had planned on her watching my dogs while I took a long weekend to New Orleans. She ended up feeling overwhelmed so on short notice over New Years at that I had to find a kennel. It ended up costing me a fortune but the one I went with had 24 hour video monitoring and a private outside run that was open during the day. I liked the video monitoring, I didn't get to check in on them that much, but I swear my mom watched it 24/7.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lucifer has come so far since I rescued him last september and I dont want anything to set him back. I think I found the perfect solution by taking him with me and boarding him near where I will be staying. that way if there are any problems I will be like 5 minutes away I know how the kennel owneer operates since my k ids worked for her years ago when they were in highschool . Maybe she can teach Lucifer to pull a sled ?? lol would be nice when I am bringing wood to the house from the shed to have some help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts