Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vet can't tell me what kind of breed he is... I'm thinking Pomeranian and Japanese Spitz but I'm not very sure. Any help would be great!

Oh, and a quick question also. The vet isn't sure if he's neutered or not. He said that it's either his balls haven't dropped yet, or they're inside his body. He said "there's no way of knowing unless you get a blood test." That blood test costs more than a couple hundred bucks. =/ I don't know what to do! I want to enroll him in an obedience training class but he has to be neutered. :confused:

Anyway, here are his pictures:

Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Looks like a pom mix to me. That last picture though reminds me of Shippo some.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
if his testies are inside him he is probably steral since sperm needs to be cooler than the dog's body temp to survive. if the testies are in the body it is more than likly too warm in there for any sperm to survive. (although body temp may not kill all)

however if that is the case then his body will still produce all the testosterone, and he will probably still be very interested in breeding, marking, ect. unless otherwise trained

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I think you need a new vet x.x

Pom cross is my thought too. Cute bugger ^_^

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I think you need a new vet x.x
I was thinking the same thing. Not being able to pin point a mixed breed is one thing, but not being able to tell if a boy is neutered or not!?! Wow!

"He said that it's either his balls haven't dropped yet, or they're inside his body."
That's the exact same thing. If his testicles haven't droped then they would/should be inside his body. A vet should know how to and be able to feel for any testies still up in the abdomen. They should also be smart enough to know that they can try to look for a surgery scar as well. Though feeling for the testies is much easier and reliable. How old is your new boy? From his pictures he looks older.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the vet told me he is a one-year old, one and a half the latest. Thanks for all the help, and hopefully I can figure out if he's neutered or not soon. His training orientation is this Saturday, Feb. 21st!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would think pom X chihuahua or possibly a pom X papillion

He's cute though :p
I'm going to agree with pom crossed with a papillion... thats what it looks like to me anyway. Adorable dog. If he is a year to a year and a half old, and there doesn't seem to be testicles, then I would assume that he is neutered. Also, the vet can oftentimes feel the testicles in the abdomen, did your veterinarian check? It's not too common for both tesicles not to drop, so if I were you, I would assume that he has been neutered. Also, more than a couple hundred dollars for a blood test? You seriously need a new vet.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
He looks alot like my mom's chihuahua only bigger. I'm going with Chihuahua mix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just in case anyone is interested, I finally found out what breed he is! He is a PAPERANIAN! Papillon / Pomeranian =)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Just in case anyone is interested, I finally found out what breed he is! He is a PAPERANIAN! Papillon / Pomeranian =)
Sorry, but he is not a paperanian. he is a corss breed, not a breed. as there is no such thing as a paperanian. he is a lovley looking pom/pap mix though. How has it been going with him? ever figure out his testical issues?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry, but he is not a paperanian. he is a corss breed, not a breed. as there is no such thing as a paperanian. he is a lovley looking pom/pap mix though. How has it been going with him? ever figure out his testical issues?
Strange as it sounds I had Coco neutered a couple months ago and I am not sure if this is comman with Poms or smaller dogs. BUT his one testical did not drop....and the vet was not able to find it during a the routine exams.

NOW here's the downfall I paid an extra $100.00 because it took the vet a little longer in surgery to find the testical. They told me the price would go up to $400. depending on how long it took him.

Just be sure to ask about this UP FRONT so your not taken by surprise.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
NOW here's the downfall I paid an extra $100.00 because it took the vet a little longer in surgery to find the testical. They told me the price would go up to $400. depending on how long it took him.

Just be sure to ask about this UP FRONT so your not taken by surprise.

It stinks when this happens! It's not that common, but we I've tech'd several cryptorchid neuters. It basically means that one of testicles hasn't dropped and has to be "found" to be removed. A canine neuter isn't too intense of a surgery, but I have seen cryptorchid neuters take longer than spays because the testicle is so far inside the abdominal cavity. This would account for you having to pay more. We had one of these (in a cat which isn't too common at all) that took just over an hour...which is unheard of in a male feline neuter! Needless to say that cost quite a bit more, but I don't think our cryptochids go much over 150 bucks anyway.

That being said, a dog being bilaterally cryptorchid (both testicles haven't dropped) as the OP stated, if even less common. It would seem to me that he is probably neutered.

Did they do a thorough abdominal exam? Sometimes it's possible to feel the testicles in the abdomen, but sometimes it's not. They should have shaved and checked for a surgery scar though. If he has one he's obviously neutered....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I am aware that a paperanian isn't a breed. It's just one of those connected names like maltipoo for example. Thanks, though. And so far, his balls haven't dropped or anything... I'm kinda hesitant about paying $200 just for the exam, and as mentioned previously, another couple hundred for the actual surgery. Thanks for the input though, and I'll keep you posted! =)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
$200 seems high for the exam, but getting the surgery done is important- retained testicles are much more likely to become cancerous. (Thta said, if they shave him and discover he's already neutered, your vet bill should be less, no?)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Where did you get him? Would his former owners/breeder/shelter know whether he was neutered or not? or was he a stray?

My vet said monorchidism (one testicle dropped) is WAY more common than full cryptorchidism (both testicles retained). But my cousin's kitten was a full cryptorichid, it cost about $200 to have him neutered (usual cat neuter is only $75), and they had to cut him in 3 places. Poor little guy. In cats it's easy to tell if cat is neutered or not by his behavior (and odor!), but in dogs it's a little harder. Hope you can get it figured out byt the time the training class starts!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts