Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted my gorgeous dog a little over a week ago.

The adoption center said she was an English Foxhound while information on the AKC website is leaning more towards an American Foxhound.

So, I took my dog to the vet today for a check up and the doctor could not even tell me what she is!! He said she LOOKED like a foxhound mixed with treeing coonhound (but I cannot see coonhound in her AT ALL!!!)

Can someone please help settle this matter?

Here are some images of my dog:

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not sure what she is, but she's very cute. Just remember, while it is nice to know exactly what to tell people, the name of the breed doesn't change the dog she is, and there is no way to tell for sure - even genetic breed testing doesn't work very well. Just enjoy her for who she is, don't worry so much about the what! :)

Congrats on your new companion!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
You don't say where you are located, but in the South, Treeing Walker Coonhounds are very common and very common in shelters too (far too many urban dwellers realize too late the personality and vocals of hunting hounds). I very much see TWC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shell - I compared some pictures of the TWC breed and the jowels (sp?) look nothing like what my pup has. I don't know much about dogs but mine doesn't appear to be of any similiarity to the TWC images on Google. The legs, chest and, again, jowels do not match my dog at all (in my opinion). To me the TWC looks more like a blood hound (unless the images I'm seeing are not accurate).

eeloheel - I am in southern Missouri and I am definitely not going to let the breed of the dog affect how I treat her (because she is just so freaking precious!!) but I would still like to know, just to sate my curiosity of what breed she is, you know? If she's mixed or not; it won't matter but it will make me feel better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts