Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, first post here. I found the website trying to find help with how to handle our new puppy.
My boyfriend and I recently got a 12 week old papillon girl. We have a 2 year old pap already who is great. We love papillons because of their personalities.
Little miss Penny Lane, our new girl has been with us for 6 days now (since Wednesday the 2nd).
We went out and got her from a breeder in the middle of the country. She was raised in heaven; grass every where, brothers and sisters to play with, not a care in the world or any scary noises. Seeing her with her brothers, she seemed assertive, she was the ring leader. She frolicked and played and came right up to us when we got there.
When we got her home, we wanted to introduce her to her new brother as easily for her as possible. Gizmo is great with dogs, so we took her to a near by grass field and brought gizmo out and they met each other. This happened with out much incidence.
However, when we got her home, her tail was tucked so far between her legs. She is soooo shy. She'll follow us, but as soon as we turn around, she scurries off in the other direction with her tail tucked.
I realize we've had her for a very short time and adjusting to apartment living in a city is way different than living out on a farm.
I want her to be happy, though. She loves to cuddle and is fine if she's laying about on us. If one of us stirs, makes a noise, if Gizmo barks, if there's a new person... she seems terrified though.
I don't get it. She didn't seem this way on the farm, I know she has it in her to be curious, full of energy and inquisitive, but as of now the thing she seems to like best is laying on us. She hardly even plays.
What can I do to help her be a puppy?

And here's a video of her with her buds.
http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv159/pappyawn/?action=view&current=VID00001-20100602-1513.flv

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Give her time to settle in. Everything is still very new and overwhelming to her. One day you may look back at this time with a bit of nostalgia. LOL

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would keep doing what you're doing and she will adjust just fine. I'm sure it is the surroundings and if you don't make a big deal out of the different noises and whatnot she will get to realize nothing is worth worrying about. When you're gone, maybe try leaving a radio or the TV on. Hang in there, before you know it this stage will only be a memory! :)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Yep, hang in there! Give her space and time, let her come to you. Maybe move slow when you get up for a while? Did she live inside the house at the breeders?

There are some great books you can get on body language (human and canine body language) that might help things along a little quicker. I loved "The Other End of the Leash"!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You're doing everything right but giving her time. No matter how brave and outgoing she was at home, she's a little baby in a big, strange new world. She was fine when she met your other dog, that's great, but it just got to be overwhelming for her. Let her settle in. She'll be her old, rambunctious, pappy self in no time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts