Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I joined in order to maybe seek some help and opinions on my poor doggies condition.

I have a 3 year old mini dachshund named Poppy.
She was a gorgeous little puppy, and then when she hit maybe.. 1 and a half, something happened with her skin, she began scratching a lot, and I found rough scaly folds of skin under her fore arms. It grew down her under carriage and started making her back legs very itchy. We were very worried so we brought her to the vet. She's had skin scrapings and the vet looked all over her and there are no traces of mites. The vet told us they don't know what i causing her irritation.

She's 3 now and it's worse than ever, it seems to come in 'waves' where she looks gorgeous, and her skin isn't irritating her much at all.. and then after a couple weeks..maybe even just a week, her skin is breaking out..all dry and scaly and extremely itchy. It's even spread to her sides, ears, eyes, neck and tail. And we are -really- worried at this point. While she is still a very happy doggie, she is in what i call 'bad moods' where she wont play, or really be her bouncy self.
There will be some mornings where she wont eat her breakfast either at all or wont be ver enthusiastic about it. She usually asks for her food, but lately she goes through phases of wanting the food and then maybe not at all until later. She often gets 'pains' in which she hides away in the dark, and squeaks sometimes. That hasn't been happening so often lately. But my mum and I are very worried and sick of this skin condition, We would appreciate any help or advice :(

I know it sounds like mange, but she's been tested for that. And the vets have looked and looked for traces of mites but apparently there are none. What else could it be?

I can post photos as soon as I find the camera~

·
Registered
27 Posts
it actually sounds like a thyroid issue, which can cause hair loss, scaly skin, pain and lethargy ... i would ask the vets to check her thyroid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish it was as simple as that :(
She has also been tested for thyroid problems, the vet did a blood test and found nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My first thought was an allergy, perhaps to her food / and or something environmental. Has the vet tested for this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vet said 1 in 4 dogs have skin problems. He advised us to try a food that was anti allergy. And it didn't make any difference to her :( We've also tried many many different washing powders to wash her beds/all furnishings she touches and lies on.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The vet said 1 in 4 dogs have skin problems. He advised us to try a food that was anti allergy. And it didn't make any difference to her :( We've also tried many many different washing powders to wash her beds/all furnishings she touches and lies on.
What kind of food did you try? Dogs can be allergic to pretty much anything, so an 'anti allergic' food can well cause allergies!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
373 Posts
The first one contains chicken, the second link you posted is actually an image ;-) There are tests available, through your vet, that can actually determine to what your dog is allergic, if an allergy is the reason. That would be my starting point. After you know if he is allergic you can then choose the right food. Have you considered raw feeding btw? A lot of foods are highly processed, Hills is no exception, which can cause problems.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Hi
I have an 8 year old doxie that has the same thing and she also stinks under her arm pits rt now the vet is having me do anti-fungel bath and useing vetericyn vf that i got from him she is also on thyroid meds but she is a licker

·
Registered
43 Posts
my doxie mix had a skin issue.. down her spine she had bald patches and small bumps. and really course fur. Vet put her on a course of antibiotics and told us to bathe her every 3-4 days in dandruff shampoo.. ( I use neutragena T-Sal) that it would help clear her skin. AND we added fish oil to her diet.

that was a year ago. and it took a good 3 months to see an improvement (just 2 weeks of antibiotics though) and now we REALLY notice how great her skin/coat is. Make sure you get good quality grain free food.. best you can afford. and add fish oil to their diet. we get the pump kind and she get's a squirt every day. she's a gorgeous little doxie now.. I still bathe her in the neutragena 2ce a month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts