Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got a pitbull puppy (Luna) and I'm doing my best to train her but she is extremely overwhelming and I'm not sure I'm doing everything correctly. For example, while I'm potty training her does she stay in her enclosed space the entire day aside from when I take her out? Also it seems like when I try to get her to play with her toys, she always chooses to bite me instead. When I put her in her little area she cries and screams harder each time! And she wants to chew everything up! I pretty much just need advice on how to get my puppy to be more well behaved over all. Thank you

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Sounds like a very normal puppy! It's lucky they're cute, because boy can they be a lot of hard work and frustration.

For the potty training, she can be out so long as you're supervising. The idea is you give her as few opportunities as possible to have an accident. That means frequent potty breaks, potty breaks after eating, drinking, napping, playing, and making sure she can't wander off to pee somewhere when you're not looking. Some people prefer tethering for this - literally tying the puppy to them - though it's still possible to miss potty signs this way if you get distracted answering the phone, folding laundry, etc. I HIGHLY recommend looking at Emily Larlham's YouTube channel (it's called "Kikopup") because she has a lot of awesome content about puppy raising, including how to get a pup used to being left in a pen (which can also be used with a crate). You can also simply search "crate games" on YouTube to get some ideas about how to help her learn her space is a happy, safe place.

If she's very young, remember that she's a tiny baby just left her mom and littermates and it's a big, scary change to be in a new house alone. I'm not a big fan of letting very distressed pups "cry it out" in a crate (IE refuse to let them out until they're quiet), and personally feel it's okay to sit by her, talk to her and soothe her. This won't cripple her ability to be left alone so long as you continue to work on separation at a slower pace as she matures mentally. Also make sure she has something like a stuffed Kong toy with her, especially during the times you HAVE to leave her alone there, so she has something to self-soothe with if she's able to.

Biting just takes time and consistency. Typically, you would mark teeth-on-skin (some people have luck "yelping" loudly, others find this overexcites their puppy even more, but you can also say "whoops" or "ouch" calmly), then offer a toy. If it happens again, mark and turn away. If she continues to bite at your feet/pant legs, you can step over a barrier like a baby gate or a play pen so she can't access you. This isn't a quick fix and you have to be really consistent about it, but it is the best and kindest way to teach a dog that biting ends playtime, and that toys are a more appropriate chewing outlet. It may take a couple months (again, she's a baby and has poor self control), but you should see a gradual decrease in biting as you work through it, and end up with a dog who has very good control over their mouth and knows how to interact safely with us thin-skinned humans.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts