Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 dogs, a black lab, 9 yrs old and a Miniature Schnauzer 2 yrs old. When we got the Schnauzer I got sick and could not train him, so my husband started using the wee pad, and it worked, But now I am training him to go outside and I have him in a schedule and its working fine. The only problem is that I am using a bell, and he doesn't like it. He wont let me know when he needs to go out, don't know what other method can I use. He doesn't whine, bark or even look at me is he needs to go out. I have to guess. Can anyone give some suggestions? I am frustrated. Thank you!!

By the way I am still using the wee pads because since he doesnt let me know when he needs to go out, I am afraid he will pee or poop my floors.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
My dogs are both fully housetrained, but they very rarely tell me they need to go out. I take it upon myself to predict when they need to go out, and take them out at those times. For a 2 year old, 3-4 times a day should be enough, and I assume he will also pee on walks?

What have you done to teach him to ring the bell?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take him out as soon as he gets up, then after feeding in the morning he goes out, later every 2 hours until feeding in the afternoon. Then I take him out after dinner and then like an hour after. Sometimes he goes out and then pees when he comes inside. About the bell i put his nose against the bell, but it seems he is afraid of it.

But let say there are days that I need to go to Dr's appointments and when I get home he has used the wee pad.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well some dogs will ask to go out and others never will ask, normally I get on a soap box and explain about the scheduling of such things but it appears you are already on a schedule. (good job on that) Think about it for a second, your dog may not think there is a need to ask to go out because of the pad program. No need, could means no reasons ask you for anything. So you have the pad for backup when necessary and maybe only thing that could be changed is upping of trips out to hourly instead of 2 hours. All this will do is give him more opportunities to duty outside. This gives you more times to reward him vigorously when he performs as you would like outside. Don't have a clue if this will help, but for sure it's not gonna hurt.

Oh and I think not rewarding the using of pads since it already is a habit. This could open a trapdoor in head, he says to himself Hmmmm! when outside duty is done lot's of rewards when inside pads used not so much, again this may help, and should not hurt.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You appear to have the dogs in a good routine. Dogs in my experience have a rather good sense of time so they should pick it up relatively fast whether you use a bell or not. Depending on your living situation and to avoid having to play doorman, would a lockable pet flap be an option?
They come in a range of sizes... well, two or three; small, medium, and large. That way the dogs can come and go as they please while you're home and can be safely locked in while you're out or sleeping.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I have heard, for the bell, that you should ring it, and say whatever word you use when you go to the door to take him out to potty, each and every time you let him out to potty. That way, he starts to think "hey, that bell's supposed to ring when I go out to potty." Eventually, he'd start to ring it himself when he wants to go out.

So, you might try that, as opposed to actually trying to put his nose up to it for him. He probably has no clue why you're pushing his nose up towards the bell, but if you show him by example, by just ringing the bell himself, he may take over for you eventually.

But, that said, our dogs don't let us know, either. Well, not really. Harper will come up to me, and prance a bit, and just look at me. Abby doesn't really do anything.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts