Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to feed my 16 week old puppy a quality dry puppy food, but am so overwhelmed by the choices. I would love it if I could narrow down the list a bit. What do you recommend that is quality, not impossible to find, and not going to break the bank?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, right now he is eating IAMS Puppy

·
Registered
334 Posts
There are a lot of good quality kibbles out there. My suggestion would be to go to dogfoodadvisor and check out the foods that you can find locally. I stay in a 4-5 star rated dog food.

With that said--some brands that I would/have fed are:

(the less expensive of "my group")

Chicken Soup for the Soul
Diamond Naturals
4 Health

(little bit more expensive:)

Canidae
Blue Buffalo
Solid Gold
Fromm
Acana

One I haven't tried yet is TOTW and it's on my "to try next" list. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I know the feeling, I am still overwhelmed by the choices at times! I would also recommend checking out dogfoodadvisor.com and doing as much reading as you can and then deciding which foods you are comfortable feeding. I also try to stay in the 4-5 star range. It also helps narrow down the search if you can budget what you are comfortable spending money wise. Personally, I have started rotating foods for my dogs. This allows me to A) watch for sales and coupons and B)provide a variety of types, flavors and qualities. So say one bag I need to "downgrade" to maybe a 3 star food and save a little money then next bag I can go up to a 5 star. I am still new to rotating but it is working well for us so far. I also am learning which ingredients my dogs do best on and which to avoid. And my dogs really seem to enjoy the variety.

So far my rotation includes:

TOTW - all four ALS plus the 2 puppy flavors for the new pup
Diamond Naturals
4 Health
Back to Basics

Chicken Soup is next on the list. Others that I'm considering are the new GF Blue Buffalo, Wellness Core, Acana and Inovva. Like I said, I'm less than a year into rotating and usually change every 6-8 weeks so my list is still short.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
We've been pretty overwhelmed too. What I did was go to the feed store (with the better prices), made a list of what they have and brought that list home, then went to Dogfood advisor. I looked at the ingredients, what my dog needs (initially large breed puppy), and went from there. We've started suspecting allergies so I did pretty much the same thing again, but looked even closer at the ingredients and since I suspected chicken I crossed everything with chicken (or anything associated with chicken that might be used for preservatives) off the list. It made the list pretty short so I had three to choose from (she's going to be on the one food for a couple of months until I'm sure about how its working with the potential allergy).
We're in a pretty small town though, so the choices of food are limited, nobody carries TOTW kibble at all or Blue Buffalo, so in a way I had an easier time than someone in a city with a whole plethora of choices (yeah, could order online but I HATE doing that, seems like things never show up on time here!).
Good luck, I know I feel like I've spent more time concerning myself over what my dog east than over what I eat lol.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
With our 13 week old Maltipoo we've been experimenting with all sorts of food. So far she's eating everything we put in front of her including all the flavors of Taste of the Wild, Wellness puppy, Go! Fit and Free, and Now. Other than the Wellness bag we bought, the rest have all been sample bags provided by the very helpful staff at a local natural pet supply store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts