Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15 weeks lab mix with sheperd and he's been with us for almost 2 months now. I have no clue on what to do anymore:

Excitement, whining, and jumping all together whenever our friends come over to our house. I've told my friends to ignore him, but he just won't stop jumping, and he would not listen to me. I tried put him on leash, still the same. Even when he finally sits, then when our friends start pet him then he started do all those things again. He has stop jumping on me, even when he get really excited he knows he's manner ( he sits and I say hi/pet him). To my husband, ONLY whenever my husband gets home from work, but nothing as worse like if friends come over. He doesn't do that to strangers. It is getting annoying, to us and to our friends. He is literally like kids get crazy from too much sugar.

One of our friends says that because he has too much energy. His energy seems just never ends. I do stay home all day. We walk him 3 times (morning, afternoon, evening) for 15-20 minutes in the morning/evening and 10 minutes at noon .Play fetch twice during the day about 10-15 minutes each, play "find it", train/play about 5-10 minutes each, i also let him wonder around by himself in the backyard, and we also play laser tag. He gets bored with his toys easily, he doesn't like to play with them by himself but I just ignore him. Before anyone says to try Kong toys, yeah..still not doing it. I noticed he doesn't chew his toys as much as he used to. What am I missing here?

I wonder if he's actually exhausted but just don't want to stop to play, or gets even more hyper when he's tired???

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers are notorious for the Wheaten Greetin', and that means my Aidan will vigorously jump on any human he sees because he is so darned happy to see them. Nothing we do works, and I thought we had tried everything.

Last night, he wanted to greet me in class, and the trainer wouldn't let him jump on me. She held Aidan on a short leash. He was wearing a harness so he wouldn't choke. He had to stop trying to jump and sit down before I got close to him. He did it! I rewarded him with a treat while he was still sitting down. The most important thing is that afterwards, he did not resume leaping around in glee.

I came home and told the family that they all have to cooperate with our latest attempt to get Aidan not to jump on people when he greets them, and this includes when friends visit. A harness will be put on Aidan before guests or family members come home. He will be held on a short leash and told to sit when someone comes in the door. That person will not be allowed to advance toward Aidan, nor he toward them, until he is sitting down and remains seated. When the greeting is completed without Aidan jumping, he will get a treat. If he resumes jumping after he eats the treat, the entire process will be repeated -- no letting go of the leash until Aidan has proved he will remain calm. And no deviations from the protocol.

Also, every lab puppy or young dog I have ever met has a huge amount of energy; it is off the charts. Aidan has a medium energy level (low, compared to a lab) and the activity level you describe for your dog is too little for him. What works best for Aidan is when I take him to a dog daycare twice a week to play all day. He is there for 4 to 6 hours. He comes home exhausted and happy. He is easy to handle and to train when he is tired.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I agree with what Rough Collie said. You have a Lab mix... my apologies. They are intelligence and energetic. And, I don't believe that you've told us the full story, b/c a 4 mos Lab pup is also destructive, so I imagine that you have scars and blood stains on the floor from where your little vampire has had you for a little snack :)

You cannot really tire him out, but you can teach him anything that you want. My dog can count and can read... seriously... I have him on youtube.

Teach him to Sit... Make it perfect, everywhere, and with lots of distractions. When he gets ready to jump, anticipate it and tell him to sit, the praise and treat quickly.... controlling his excitement of success. Also, if you don't anticipate it, ask the victim to turn his side or back to the dog, b/c that's a calming signal that tells the dog not to jump... You can also try kneeling to greet the pup. Sometimes they won't jump if you're on their level, although they may drown you. It takes discipline and persistence, but he will learn... and he wants to....

If he is absolutely too wound up, put him on leash, then gently step on the leash to hold him in a down position. It should be done calmly and gently to hold him in place, and should not scare him. When he accepts that he can't even sit, he will lay there and calm down. Praise and treat when he is calm, still holding him down. I don't like this method (although it is harmless, when done correctly), b/c Lab mixes are so very intelligent. They have the sharp intelligence of a GSD and the biddability/calmness of a Lab... putting them in competition with border collies. :sticks tongue out at border collie owners:

Cuteness and desire to learn are two reasons why people don't drown their Labs... but you can't... they love water! They drink from the faucet and the hose, and like water pistols! And they dig in their water dish. Also, don't hit your dog.... they like that too and think that you're playing :)
If I've described your dog, then we can really help you. b/c there are a few of us with Lab-GSD mixes on the forum.

See my avatar... That's what happens at 11 yo... canine Cary Grant charisma and he knows it! Pictures of yours please?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts