Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well a few months ago my dog was at the park we were playing fetch and later that day when we got home i noticed that her paw pads were messed up cuts all over them i thought she ran over glass or something. well she healed after a couple weeks just fine. today we were at a bigger park playing fetch and tonight i noticed she sliced part of one of her pads open again not nearly as bad but still bad. what is going on there wasent anything sharp around at all! im very careful these days, and check the area we play in. now im scared to take her to the park. i know she will be ok but why is she getting hurt im starting to think her pads are too soft or something what do i do about this thanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
When you walk your dog- is it on concrete or grass, dirt? IMO a dog's pads on the paws will get thick like calluses if walked on rough surfaces. Maybe she just needs to toughen them up some.

We had a dog that did that too, was indoors for most the winter and when spring came, his pads would be soft, sore, and torn up till we started walking reg. on sidewalks and roads. But this is just MO. If iisn'tnt that-- i think I would take her to the vet and see what he/she says about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had something similar. Before going to the vet I actually thought maybe it was some weird sort of ring worm. That it was it looked like to my untrained eye. When it was pointed out that it was frayed paw, I was shocked and relieved. After treating her feet, I was more careful, but it sounds like you are already doing that. My dog does walk on concrete so maybe she toughened up like another poster suggested. I just stopped letting her take any corners for a few years.

I doubt this was very helpful, but I thought you might want to know it happens to others.

Good luck,
Suzanne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts