Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Irwin is an Australian shepherd border collie cross, he's a year and 1 month old and he's extremely intelligent and will do anything you want him to do (well, almost anything..) he very obedient, walks on a loose leash very nicely, and knows around 36 tricks. Despite this, he is also quite nervous, I want to teach him to jump into my arms and to start this I will need him to jump on my lap, I've tried many different approaches but he's still pretty nervous about stepping on me, which is quite odd, because sometimes he will come and crawl on my lap, or climb onto me, just not when I want him to.
Any tips on how to teach him to jump on my lap on command?

edit: just realized I forgot to put "on" after jump in the title, whoops

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
1. When he crawls in your lap, say "lap!" praise him, and try to give him a treat or appropriate high value petting. He may learn to come into your lap on cue, after a long time.
2. Teach him to jump onto a chair or bed, then teach him to jump onto the chair or bed beside you while you are sitting. Then, try to lure him into your lap.
3. OR can you play Tug or Chase, getting him to chase you and then jump on you, repeating the activity and putting it on cue as in #1 above.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You could also try a movable target. A small blanket or towel, for example. Teach the dog to lie on the target on the floor at first. Next, move it to different locations (on a couch, bed etc..) Then put it on you lap. You might eventually be able to hold it in your arms and have him jump up onto it.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
If you've corrected your dog for jumping on you when greeting etc, could be the reason why he's nervous. If so you'll have to be conscious of that moving forward.

I'd start by sitting on the ground or floor and rewarding for any paw contact on your lap, just to begin with, until the dog gains / regains some confidence.

You can probably get some good tips from this multi-part video; links to the other parts are included in the 'show more' text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHxfjdGa8fI

·
Registered
17,906 Posts
I did what petpeeve described to teach my little dog the ultimate jump into my arms. Basically on the GROUND to start with, rewarding physical contact with paws and my legs and building it. It took, um, a good solid year or more to get to the finished leaping from my thigh (she's little!) into my arms behavior, but we got there.

I am probably not teaching it to my BC. It looks cool, but I like my skin. Maybe teach a target to a neoprene thigh sleeve as the jump point.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I find that a lot of dogs do well with having this shaped vs trying to encourage and lure them up to you.

I would start either on the floor or a low stool and just slowly shape it, think of it more as building his confidence to interact with your body instead of the biggest end goal of having him in your arms. Just start by rewarding him for being near you, then looking at you, then maybe touching his nose to you and so on. Reward muscle twitches that look like they are attempts to touch you. Reward from the hand farthest from him to help with reward placement and encourage drawing him across you eventually.

Be ready to catch and jackpot if he decides at one point to wing it and jump up, you don't want him to fall and freak himself out so just be ready.

Keep the sessions super short and positive and try not to increase criteria too fast.

Good luck! It's a really fun trick and one of my favorites!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts