Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog LOVES to chase things... pretty well anything. When she gets to the item she picks it up then runs directly back to me (just like fetch, so far). At this point she does a 'fly by' in an attempt to get me to chase her. She'll run in circles around me, then eventually lay down 5-10ft away and drop the toy beside her. At this point I can get her to 'leave it', and if I pick the toy back up she'll sit & be ready to play again.

If I keep her on leash, she seems to know she has to play differently. When on leash (even a long lead) she will return, sit & drop it on command, about 95% - with no tension on the lead at all. When she's off leash, she's basically 0%.

How do I teach her she has to play the same when off leash? I've tried going back to the basics and moved the distance back to only a couple of feet. I've tried high value treats, and trading up for a 'better toy'. She seems to love the thought of a game of chase, better than anything. If she thinks she can get away, she will.

BTW, she has a very reliable recall when in our yard, but not when playing fetch in the same location.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Dogs love to be chased... Turn that into a reward (Premack).

I had the same problem, somewhat. So I have two fetch toys. The hard rubber bone is for fetch and chase. The tennis ball is for fetch and return. With the ball, I was fairly calm, and provided a treat on return. With the bone, I'm very excited, and I chase him before he has a chance to pick up the bone, making it more fun for him.

After I trained him separately with both toys for a few days, careful to keep a disciplined approach with the tennis ball, I'd toss the tennis ball, then reward with the bone... I had to fine tune his response, so that he wouldn't get excited too early, dropping the ball. Also, if he ran with the ball, I marked the failure ('no!') and immediately walked inside, leaving him alone for a few moments.

I know I left out a step or two, but this may help you get started.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Here's a couple ideas:

Use two identical objects. When she brings back one, act like the one in your hand is SO much better than the one she has. She will drop hers right at your feet. Throw yours immediately as a reward for dropping.

There should be consequences for not obeying recall, assuming that she knows what it means. If you say "come" and she does a fly-by, the game ends. Take the toy away from her and have a little time out. This game has rules, and if she can't play by them, then she doesn't get to play at all. Time outs are incredibly effective for dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts