Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I brought home our sweet Holly a month ago (12 weeks old). She was raised on a farm with a very kind family (she was a runt of a litter of 14). She is sweet, gentle and lively with our family and our other dog. I currently have her in puppy training and she is doing great with commands. However, the biggest issue I've noticed has been her shyness/fear of strangers both in and out of the house.

I have been taking her to stores that allow dogs and other places where there are people and she does fine. She shows no fear of the people walking around her; however, when someone approaches her to pet her she jumps out of the way in fear and on a few occasions has urinated. I'm really hoping this is not going to become a more serious issue. Can anyone give me advice on this matter? Will she outgrow it?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Don't allow people to approach her. Always have her approach them. If they can squat down and look away, and have a treat, that would be even better. Then slowly have them move their gaze closer to her over time as she gets better (it'd be great if you could have a few people she could go up to spread apart and as she cycles through them and is gaining confidence they can slowly start looking more towards her so she gets a good session in where she gains confidence with the same people.
The next session (it'd be great if you could have at least one new person each session), start with the same squat and look away and see how fast she gains confidence to see how fast you can move. Once she's good with them looking towards her start to have them slowly work towards standing up. Each time you start a session start way easy for her, then allow her confidence to tell you how fast you can move. Keep slowly working up to finally having familiar people being able to walk up to her and pet her, before you move on to unfamiliar but least threatening people who will do as you ask and approach very calm
You really want to control all of her interactions with people until she has gained a lot of confidence. Each time a person scares her will set her back.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I personally don't care about other people or other dogs..... What I want to see in a maturing pup is enjoying being out in public places with me. that we learning or basic OB skills as a team working together, shows no interest in other people or other animals. "we not going to public places for play dates and meet and greets" Most important is we don't go out into public to eat anyone or other animals.' to me that is a golden natural trait. People want to stop and talk, pup learns to watch and listen. if the pup wants to meet people i will release them from working to go forward to meet. If they not that type of pup to want to meet and some are not.. Then they stay working i finish a conversation and we move on with no meeting.. I am never offended if my pups are just not interested in rushing and falling all over complete strangers am actually really happy for them being reserved and want to watch .. When pups are ready they ready when they not,, other people and dogs are not important anyway...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts