Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an important question and I need as many opinions as I can get. I just took Bono to the Vet. For his first set of shots!
He is 2 month now:), and they asked me if I would want to neuter him.
I don't know what to do, because from where I come from (Argentina), that is not even an option, and I get a horrible feelings just thinking about it. But apparently it is a good thing, the Vet told me that the only con is that he is not going to be able to have babies, but he is going to be spare from many diseases like cancer.
Please I need advices and opinions from you all!!!!!
Thanksss!!!!!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Unless I am Showing my dog and working toward breeding and bettering the breed, all my male dogs will be neutered and females spayed.

Go for it. Your pup will thank you in the end. There is less likly your dog will run away from you (since he doesn't have his other head to think with when a female dog is in heat) your not going to produced more unwanted dogs into the world.

Your dog isn't going to change because he is neutered except it will lessen the amount of time to nothing that he is thinking about female dogs. Go for it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just feel horrible, I feel like I am taking an important part from him, but you are totally right, I dont want his puppies to end up in a bad situation, specially in this times of crisis!!!
I have another question, do they get obese because of that?

By the way, your dog is so cute!!!!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I just feel horrible, I feel like I am taking an important part from him, but you are totally right, I dont want his puppies to end up in a bad situation, specially in this times of crisis!!!
I have another question, do they get obese because of that?

By the way, your dog is so cute!!!!
No they don't. Some females will become a tad overweight after being spayed but I've never had anything but neutered males and all of them look great and none are overweight. Even Nubs in my signature is neutered and is in great shape. And thanks I agree he is beyond cute ;)

There is nothing to feel bad about. They don't even realize what they are missing. There is no law that states that a dog MUST breed to be a "real" dog. Only people who believe that are those who help this over population of dogs in this world.

Good luck and no worries!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
YES!!! And here's why:

The population of stray and abused dogs and cats is through the roof in all countries, not just the U.S. The only dogs you have control over are the ones you keep-- you breed your dog, you have puppies, you sell those puppies, the owners of THOSE dogs have the same decision to make. Those puppies have puppies who have puppies who have puppies who have puppies, and pretty soon, your ONE DOG has made 500 other dogs, and that's a lot of dogs to end up on the street homeless and/or abused all because you didn't neuter your dog and decided to breed just that one time. Fair enough?

On top of that, in order to keep an in-tact male dog "satisfied" and not aggressive, they should be bred twice a year. So... take those 500 dogs and multiply them by how ever many times you decide to breed.

Also, if you choose not to neuter your dog but not breed him, he'll develop dog-aggressive behaviors, mostly towards other males, due to sexual frustration, and you also risk him developing prostate cancer from his reproductive organs not being used (it's the same for females-- you don't use it for what it's meant to be used, infections can develop over time).

So... I repeat, YES! Please neuter your dog!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
YES!!! And here's why:

The population of stray and abused dogs and cats is through the roof in all countries, not just the U.S. The only dogs you have control over are the ones you keep-- you breed your dog, you have puppies, you sell those puppies, the owners of THOSE dogs have the same decision to make. Those puppies have puppies who have puppies who have puppies who have puppies, and pretty soon, your ONE DOG has made 500 other dogs, and that's a lot of dogs to end up on the street homeless and/or abused all because you didn't neuter your dog and decided to breed just that one time. Fair enough?

On top of that, in order to keep an in-tact male dog "satisfied" and not aggressive, they should be bred twice a year. So... take those 500 dogs and multiply them by how ever many times you decide to breed.

Also, if you choose not to neuter your dog but not breed him, he'll develop dog-aggressive behaviors, mostly towards other males, due to sexual frustration, and you also risk him developing prostate cancer from his reproductive organs not being used (it's the same for females-- you don't use it for what it's meant to be used, infections can develop over time).

Uhhhh I have never heard that?.......you have to breed a intact male to keep him from becoming DA????....I'm not sure if I believe that...I think its possible that it MIGHT help with behavior issues (getting S/N)...but no guarantee

I will always get my dogs S/N just because I don't want to deal with my females going into heat and it just puts me at ease to not have to worry about it....if I had a large breed though I might wait a year or two till the dog was mature before getting it done :)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
If you can not make sure you are not going to have any accidents with him.
have any training issues.deal with their "other head" somtimes then yes fix him.

YES!!! And here's why:

Where did you get this load of crap?

So I should be letting my puppy mill dog breed twice a year to keep him happy? lol.

I didnt know all unaltered male dogs were a guarentee for dog agression.

Some one didnt pass the memo to my 6 year old, very sumissive intact male.

The dog who goes to the dog park and never starts anything.
the dog we "sick" all puppies on becuase he is so gentle with them and their bad manners at their age.

The dog who is so agressive who hangs out with a bunch of other intact males.

I guess i better send the memo on to the other intact males I know.

Dogs dont have sexual needs. they have mating needs. which are different. a dog is not going to be pissed off if he never got laid. he is not going to just beat up any old dog just becuase he has sexual frusteration.

Please dont spew dumb comments against all intact males. the ones you probably speak of are properly ill trained and socialized intact males. OR intact male breeds prone to dog agression.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks you all for your responses, but I am back to square one! I have been researching this past two days, and apparently the only down side is that BONO is not going to be able to have puppies, but other than that, there is nothing wrong with it. I agree with Photo_grapher_gurl, that we already have too many abused and homeless pets in the world, but I dont know about the agrressive thing. I haven't read anything about that, it make sense in a way, but I think that many factors, other than not neuter the dog have to take place in order for the dog to be agressive. As Pugmon and Tankstar say, not all dogs end up being agressive, so I guess that depends on many factors.
I think I may do it because I want to saper BONO from all those deseases like cancers.
Like I said thanks again for your responses!!!!!:)

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
YES!!! And here's why:

That's pretty hilarious....and absurd.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I agree with getting your dog neutered. Unless you plan to show, title, get all of the health clearances needed to prove your dog is healthy for reproduction, get him fixed. It makes life easier for you. He won't miss them either believe me. People put too much importance on a dogs "manhood" the dog goes on with life. I have a neutered male right now and he certainly did not get fat and lazy from being fixed.

·
Registered
442 Posts
First off , I don't believe male dogs get cancer from not being neutered . I think that's an old wives tale . Show me the proof on that . If it makes you feel any better I have decided not to get my boy done. He is in a controlled environment always ,he doesn't run wild around the neighborhood either. I don't know man , I have friends with intact males and have never seen any sexual aggressiveness ,if that is what some of you are referring to ? Don't do anything just because everyone tells you its 'the normal thing to do' , you need to make the choice yourself . Vet's are always going to recommend it not matter what ,hell.. its 250 bucks in their pocket . Ok ,let the flaming begin :D

Hi, I have an important question and I need as many opinions as I can get. I just took Bono to the Vet. For his first set of shots!
He is 2 month now:), and they asked me if I would want to neuter him.
I don't know what to do, because from where I come from (Argentina), that is not even an option, and I get a horrible feelings just thinking about it. But apparently it is a good thing, the Vet told me that the only con is that he is not going to be able to have babies, but he is going to be spare from many diseases like cancer.
Please I need advices and opinions from you all!!!!!
Thanksss!!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you're not going to breed your dog, I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to prostate cancer. My puppy's a purebred, but there are already enough dogs in the world that there's no need for me to breed him. Besides, I don't want him getting hurt in any mating situation. If he ever ran off and wanted to mate with a dog in heat and another male wanted her too, I couldn't imagine what might happen to him. If you're not breeding, there's really no reason to keep him intact.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
First off , I don't believe male dogs get cancer from not being neutered . I think that's an old wives tale . Show me the proof on that . If it makes you feel any better I have decided not to get my boy done. He is in a controlled environment always ,he doesn't run wild around the neighborhood either. I don't know man , I have friends with intact males and have never seen any sexual aggressiveness ,if that is what some of you are referring to ? Don't do anything just because everyone tells you its 'the normal thing to do' , you need to make the choice yourself . Vet's are always going to recommend it not matter what ,hell.. its 250 bucks in their pocket . Ok ,let the flaming begin :D
First, Your dog is MORE LIKELY to get cancer since there is another organ there to get cancer in that is more likely to get cancer then normal. If it's not there, then your not going to get cancer in it.

Male dogs that aren't neutered are more likely to escape from your home, more likely to get hit by cars, more likely to fight, and more likely to produce unwanted litters. One male dog can mate with as many females as he can find. Even one trip out of your yard you have no clue that your dog mated with another dog. Guess what? Thanks to you another 2 to 10 puppies are now in this world. Feel good?

I know vets offer things you don't really need at times, but Neutering and spaying should be done to every non-show, non-working dog out there. It's safer for the dog for countless reasons and healthier too.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just in my opinion if the dog is not going to be bred then neutering would take away any risks of unwanted puppies. I thought though that pups shouldnt be neutered untill about six months of age. Thats the age that our vets will do it out here anyways.

·
Registered
77 Posts
He is 2 month now, and they asked me if I would want to neuter him.
Two months of age? Way to early to consider fixing. Unless you want a rangy looking, flabby muscled male.

I don't know what to do, because from where I come from (Argentina), that is not even an option, and I get a horrible feelings just thinking about it.
I'm from Puerto Rico and we have one of the worse epidemic of unwanted dogs, but even I have strong feelings of fixing animals to prevent "oops" litters and to prevent some form of cancer called cancer. ;)

But apparently it is a good thing, the Vet told me that the only con is that he is not going to be able to have babies, but he is going to be spare from many diseases like cancer

If you are asking whether you should fix your dog, you probably do not own a papered show/working dog. If you are responsible there is no need to worry about fixing your animal. But, if you do not have confidence in your own ability to keep your dog from breeding, maybe you should fix him.

PB

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
You shouldn't get the dog fixed till atleast after six months. There's been studies that male dogs are more likely to get bone cancer if they're fixed before age one. It's up to you, personally I plan on getting my next dog fixed but not till after age 1.
It's true that it reduced the 1% risk of the dogs getting testicular cancer but it increases the risk of common cancers like bone cancer and there was a study that basically showed that neutered dogs are more likely to get cardiac tumors.
I think unless your planning on breeding or your really ready to take the responsability of an intact dog you should get your dog fixed. If anything the age is more important and I don't think you should get your dog fixed before 6 months.
As for aggression, there's also another study that neutered female dogs showed more signs of fear and neutered male dogs showed more signs of aggression. Personally I don't think the aggression has anything to do with the dog being intact or not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts